Unable to format the D-Drive

Closed
Bahn Gein Posts 8 Registration date Friday February 22, 2013 Status Member Last seen March 14, 2013 - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Bahn Gein Posts 8 Registration date Friday February 22, 2013 Status Member Last seen March 14, 2013 - Mar 13, 2013 at 02:40 AM
Hello,

my PC hard disk drive doesn't show its capacity under my local disk D (e.g. 16GB or 10 free of 16GB). whenever I try to open is says "You need to format the disk in drive D: before you can use it". there are two options, format and cancel. if I click FORMAT is says "windows was unable to complete the format" if I hit CANCEL it says "D:\ is not accessible. the volume does not contain a recognized file system."
what should I do with this problem. please help..

Thanks,
Related:

1 response

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Feb 22, 2013 at 04:25 AM
Hello,

Try this 1

Try to format the drive from the "Disk Management".

Click on Start --> Run --> Type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter.

"Disk Management" will be opened.

Now right-click on your drive --> Select format and follow the instructions.

Good Luck
Bahn Gein Posts 8 Registration date Friday February 22, 2013 Status Member Last seen March 14, 2013
Feb 25, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Hi jack4rall!
Thanks for sharing this info..i tried it, unfortunately it didnt work. it says "THE FORMAT DID NOT COMPLETE SUCCESSFULLY". when I checked my drive on disk management windows it shows
under the status "HEALTHY (Logical Drive)" and under the file system is the word "RAW"
what should I do in this case??

thanks
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Feb 25, 2013 at 04:28 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
Since its saying D:\ is not accessible make sure that you have the necessary permissions added to make changes.
1) Click on Start --> Run --> Type control folders --> Press "Enter".
"Folder Options" window will be opened. Click on "View" tab --> Scroll down and uncheck the check box "Use simple file sharing" --> Click on OK.
2) Now right-click on your D drive --> Properties --> Click on "Security" tab.
3) Click on "Add" --> Enter you user account name --> Click on OK --> Make sure your user account name is selected in "Group or user names:" section --> Check the check box "Full Control" --> Click on OK.
4) Follow the step 3 once again and this time enter system and click on OK and give "Full Control" to the System.
Now check the "File System" and try to format it.
Good Luck.
Hi jack
its no use :(
the security tab doesnt show up..maybe that happens when the drive is unaccessible just like in my case
Feb 26, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Hello,
Try this 1
Security tab only appears when you have followed the Step 1. You need to uncheck the check box "Use simple file sharing" for the security tab to appear.
Good Luck
Bahn Gein Posts 8 Registration date Friday February 22, 2013 Status Member Last seen March 14, 2013
Mar 13, 2013 at 02:40 AM
Hi jack!

i don't see "Use simple file sharing" in the option, what I see is "use sharing wizard (recommended)" I tried to uncheck it but security tab doesnt shown up still, same thing happens when I check it again. could you recommend another options? I am using windows 7 ultimate.
thanks in advance