How can i formart my usb drive using command prompt [Solved]

Ask a question ayumba 1Posts Wednesday April 17, 2013Registration date April 17, 2013 Last seen - Last answered on Dec 1, 2016 at 11:28 AM
Hello,
how can I format a usb drive using command prompt
See more 
Helpful
+8
moins plus
Hi ayumba,

I use the below mentioned method to format my pen drive from command prompt:

1. Shutdown the computer.
2. Insert USB Memory Stick into your computer.
3. Power on the computer and then immediately start tapping (F8) key then "Advanced Boot Options" screen will come up.
4. Select "Safe Mode with Command Prompt".
5. After booting to Safe Mode with Command Prompt, if your USB Memory Stick drive letter is (G) for example then type:
G: and press enter
6. Then type:
format G: and press enter
7. If ask you (Y/N) then press (Y) and press enter
8. Now a full format will start.

We are booting the computer to Safe Mode in steps 3-4 so as to override any existing format-restrictions in Normal Mode of Windows.

Note: All the files in the Pen Drive will be removed after Format, so please backup all the data in the Pen Drive before formatting (if possible).

Do reply with results.
Add comment
Helpful
+3
moins plus
when " format H: " was entered it had replied that 'format is not recognized as any batch file'
Add comment
Helpful
+3
moins plus
Hi there,

Have a look at this topic http://ccm.net/faq/14288-windows-xp-format-a-pendrive-in-command-line? I would double check the command syntax and look for permission issues.

Hope this helps
Add comment
Helpful
+0
moins plus
Formatting pen drive using command prompt in Windows PC can be the most appropriate way for you if you want to full format your pen drive but unable to format pen drive using the normal method. Here's how:

- At first, connect Pen Drive to your PC and not down the etter assigned to the USB flash drive (whether it's J: or G: or H:)
- press Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box and type cmd then press Enter
- Next, type format /q /x H: (here, the letter "H" is the drive name. You need to replace "H" with your drive name) command in command prompt and press Enter.
- Now, It will display a message, so again press Enter.

You can get more detailed information from here - http://www.zerodollartips.com/format-pen-drive-command-prompt-windows/
Obioha- Dec 7, 2015 at 12:59 PM
Yes it Worked Perfectly
Bra_killion- Nov 16, 2016 at 04:04 PM
Disk unusable format failed, that's the reply I had when I tried using the stated cmd line
Add comment
Helpful
+0
moins plus
hello there,
I tried formatting my flash drive using the above method but i received an error saying "the specified cluster size is too big for FAT kindly advice on further action.
Thank you.
Add comment

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?