Ask a question Report

STEMPEKA - Latest answer on Apr 16, 2013 06:33PM
I have one excel sheet. column A has a list of names formated as follows:
Last name, First name
column B has a much longer list o names in the same format.
Some of the names in column A exist in column B.
I am looking for a formula that will produce in column C the names that appear on both lists.
Thanks for your help!!!
Read more 
moins plus
user vlookup formula if you have same name in second column
=vlookup(select any one name in column A prefer first name , then select full range of column B then ,1,FALSE)

moins plus
Hi You can have a true or false formula as
=A2=B2. Then if same cell has the same data you will result it with True. If not the same will be False.

tarun- Jan 17, 2013 07:39AM
its working only for MS office 2007
not in 2010
JeffS79- Apr 16, 2013 06:33PM
This worked great as a very fast audit of 2 rows of text. Just type in the formula and filter by "false" to find the discrepancies. Amazing tip!
moins plus
I have an Answer :

It is possible that i can give you the formula you will get the details of the name which you have in column B

Ex : =vlookup(select column b,select the range the same you have in column A,1,0) hit the Enter and drag the formula till the end.

igor- Jul 1, 2010 01:40PM
Dragging it was the key! Thank you
yaykarin- Aug 17, 2010 05:35PM
Yes! I have tried SO many different "solutions" this finally did it. I had a long column A, a short column B and was able to remove any appearing in A that also appeared in B. So simple and yet so complicated. Thanks!
moins plus
I see that this thread status is "not resolved".
You will find here an other way to solve your problem without using macro or formula :
I hope this helps

This document entitled « COMPARING TWO COLUMNS OF NAMES IN EXCEL » from CCM ( is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.