Ask a question Report

COMPARING TWO COLUMNS OF NAMES IN EXCEL [Solved/Closed]

STEMPEKA - Latest answer on Apr 16, 2013 06:33PM
Hello,
I have one excel sheet. column A has a list of names formated as follows:
Last name, First name
column B has a much longer list o names in the same format.
Some of the names in column A exist in column B.
I am looking for a formula that will produce in column C the names that appear on both lists.
Thanks for your help!!!
Read more 
Answer
+205
moins plus
user vlookup formula if you have same name in second column
=vlookup(select any one name in column A prefer first name , then select full range of column B then ,1,FALSE)

Answer
+67
moins plus
Hi You can have a true or false formula as
=A2=B2. Then if same cell has the same data you will result it with True. If not the same will be False.

tarun- Jan 17, 2013 07:39AM
its working only for MS office 2007
not in 2010
JeffS79- Apr 16, 2013 06:33PM
This worked great as a very fast audit of 2 rows of text. Just type in the formula and filter by "false" to find the discrepancies. Amazing tip!
Answer
+52
moins plus
I have an Answer :

It is possible that i can give you the formula you will get the details of the name which you have in column B

Ex : =vlookup(select column b,select the range the same you have in column A,1,0) hit the Enter and drag the formula till the end.

igor- Jul 1, 2010 01:40PM
Dragging it was the key! Thank you
yaykarin- Aug 17, 2010 05:35PM
Yes! I have tried SO many different "solutions" this finally did it. I had a long column A, a short column B and was able to remove any appearing in A that also appeared in B. So simple and yet so complicated. Thanks!
Answer
+15
moins plus
Hi STEMPEKA,
I see that this thread status is "not resolved".
You will find here an other way to solve your problem without using macro or formula :
http://en.kioskea.net/faq/sujet-5278-how-to-compare-two-workbooks-worksheets
I hope this helps
Marc

This document entitled « COMPARING TWO COLUMNS OF NAMES IN EXCEL » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.