DV6000 lights turn on, nothing else

Solved/Closed
Alex - Feb 19, 2009 at 05:09 PM
 tiptronic - Apr 17, 2014 at 07:18 PM
Hello,
I have a dv6000 laptop. I took the whole thing apart. Ive tried everything you guys said and nothing seems to work like resetting it and putting it in the freezer. I press the power button and all I get is lights, and the fan for like 1 second. Nothing else turns on and the screen is blank. Im poor so I cant afford a new motherboard.

17 responses

This sounds ridiculous but I'm not kidding it works for me every time, I have the same issue. HP Pavilion DV6408NR. The problem is due to the nvidia graphics chipset becoming slightly unseated from the mainboard.

Remove the RAM access panel, you will see your ram chips and above these is the wlan controller and directly beside it a small black chip that says Nvidia. This is your graphics chip. We want to leave these COMPLETELY exposed at all times (you might as well get used to just not having the panel on for this fix).

From a cold start (i.e. the computer is completely off and unpowered) boot once, wait about 5-10 seconds. This will allow the motherboard to build up some heat... If you touch your graphics chipset you will notice it's started to warm up. Now go ahead and power the computer down, it's not going to boot on this attempt, but we got the solder warm.

Again power the computer on, and wait a few seconds. This time you should hear your fan magically kick on (assuming the fan is still working, as it is in mine). AFTER, and only after you hear the fan rev up to full speed, begin applying FIRM pressure with your index finger to the gpu (the black chip that says nvidia). Just wait a few seconds and voila, your HP POST screen magically appears.

I've had to do this with this laptop for nearly 2 years now. It never takes more than one to two tries to get it to start up. A word of warning: Do NOT close the screen, you only have about a 5% chance of it actually coming back on when you open it back up.

I'm aware this is a "quick and dirty" fix. If you have the patience and the cash you should just send it in to HP and have them fix it for you. If you have the skill, you should reflow the chip to the motherboard and fix the problem yourself.

If you're like me and you're lazy and broke, this fix will do the trick for the rest of the laptop's lifetime. :)
I do The same trick............:)
Hi all i`ve managed to fix the dv6000 problem call or email me for help 00263912900454
How did you fix it? I've tried replacing hard drive, motherboard, processor, freezing it, nothing works.
i have a hp laptop 6000 I turn it on the lights come on but the screen is blank please help GETTYUP THANKS.
Hi dude ,

Can u please send me an email with the method that you used to fix your problem with HP Pavilion.
My email is bursucurtt@yahoo.com
Thanks
hey dave can you send your solution to that problem to me at the.mog.deviant@gmail.com. I would be very much obliged if you could. I have that problem for a while now too.
hello,
i'd be interested in finding out what your solution is. tks,
f.

handymen@comcast.net
I ended up fixing mine. I found a video on YouTube. All you need is a heat gun and some thermal paste. It's a really simple fix. It's a problem with the GPU getting to hot and becoming un soldered from the motherboard. You simply have to take out the motherboard, heat up the GPU with a heat gun or possibly a hair dryer, and press the GPU into the motherboard.

It works, so try it!
I had the same problem with my DV6000. On another site I found a fix, which works on the same theory as the xbox fix. Basically you cook the solder so it reconnects.

First, ducttape all the external vents on the unit, so no air gets in or out. Turn on computer, wrap it in towels or blankets for an hour or more. Remove blankets, let cool. It should start right up.

I believe the issue is with faulty soldering connections getting overheated, then losing their connection.

Not sure how long it will last. If your technically proficient, the above fix, whcih includes the thermal paste is probably a better option.

Good luck

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
HI EVERYONE, I´M A COMPUTER TECHINICIAN AND I HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM WITH ALL LAPTOPS FROM DV SERIES NO MATTER WHAT MODEL IT IS, NWER OR OLDER, ALL OF THEM HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS, NORMALLY IT APPEARS ON AMD CPU MORE THAN INTEL CPU, AT WORK I HAVE 2 LAPTOPS FOR REPAIR, A DV6140US AND A DV6408NR, BOTH PRESENTING EXACTLY SAME FAN OR TEMPERATURE PROBLEM, ALL LIGHTS ON FOR A FEW SECONDS, FAN WORKIN, DVD TRYING TO READ, AND SCREEN BLANK OR BLACK, NO IMAGE SHOWING, THEN THE LAPTOP RESET AND START AGAIN WITHOUT SCREEN SHOW.

I HAVE TRYED ALL, IN SOME CASES "FREEZER FIX" WORKS, IN OTHERS DON´T, UPDATING BIOS COULD FIX THE PROBLEM BUT NOT IN ALL MODELS.

I LIST HERE SOME OF MY SUCCESFUL TRIES:

1.- FREEZER FIX: FIRST TAKE THE BATTERY OUT OF THE LAPTOP, THIS IS DUE TO A POSSIBLE EXPLOSION WHEN ELECTRICITY PASS THROUGH THE BATERY WHEN IT IS STILL COLD, PUT THE LAPTOP INTO A PLASTIC BAG, PREFER WITH MAGIC ZIP OR ENVOLVING PLASTIC FOR MEAT OR FOOD, THAT PLASTIC YOU CAN MOLDING TO FIT INTO THE SURFACE. WAIT FOR A HOUR OR TWO, THEN PUT THE LAPTOP OUT, WAIT SOME MINUTES TO MELT DOWN THE LAPTOP, PUT THE WARM BATERY INTO THE LAPTOP AND TURN IT ON, TRY TO DO THIS WHILE THE LAPTOP IS COLD, AND TRY TO DRY THE MOST POSIBLE DURING THIS. WHEN THE LAPTOPS RUN NORMALY, UPDATE THE BIOS INMEDIATELY CAUSE THIS WOULD HAPPEN AGAIN IF YOU DONT.

2.- XBOX 360 FIX: AS THE XBOX 360 PASS THROUGH THE SAME THING, I TRY THIS IN LAPTOP TOO. (((FOR ADVANCED USERS ONLY))), DISARMED THE LAPTOP, REMOVE THE HEAT SPREAD AND HEAT SINK, REMOVE THE CPU AND USING A BLOWER, BLOW ALL THE SURFACE, USE A HAIRDRYER TO BLOW WITH HOT AIR THE CHIPSET AND THE CPU, CLEAN THE OLD HEAT SINK FROM HEAT SPREADER, USE NEW HEAT SINK AND PUT IT AGAIN INTO THE LAPTOP, CLEAN ALL (INCLUDING HEAT SPREADER, FAN, AND ALL YOU CAN CLEAN, ARM AGAIN THE LAPTOP AND TURN ON, WHEN IT RUN NORMALLY UPDATE BIOS.

GUYS UNDER ANY CIRCUNSTANCES, DO NOT FREEZE THE BATTERY, JUST ONLY THE LAPTOP NEEDS TO FROZE, NOT THE BATTERY. DO NOT LET THE LAPTOP FROZE FOR MORE THAN 3 HOURS OR YOU CAN BE DAMAGE IT SEROUSLY BY MELTING DOWN WATER, REMEMBER FROM COLD TO HOT NO MATTER HOW, WATER APPEARS BY SWEATING.

I HOPE THIS TWO FIXES CAN SOLVED YOUR PROBLEMS WITH THIS ISSUE!!

REGARDS
DJMETELEX
what did you do about the moisture that formed on the outside of the laptop
wont the moisture hurt the inside of the laptop?
CentralScrutinzer
May 11, 2010 at 11:56 AM
As an aside, I've researched this problem (having one of these offending machines...) and here's the solution that works for me.

I am rue to implement the "blanket" method and don't really want to tear this machine down (again!) to reflow the solder on the NVidia chip. I found another post that referenced pressing the escape (esc) key down during power on which didn't work reliably at first until I found the following combination of tasks which makes booting somewhat reliable again:

1) Starting with the system powered off (no LEDs lit on the quick play buttons strip and only the LED next around the power connector is lit) press the power button and start the boot attempt.

2) Let the boot sequence go for about 5 seconds (I wait until the fan speed changes from fast to slow during the boot time)

3) press and hold the power button causing the system to "crash" power off. The system will have a "whirr-clunk" sound when it does this crash power off. If the system shuts down quietly without the whirr-clunk return to step 1.

4) Wait around 2 seconds, press and hold the escape key (labeled "esc", right below the power switch on the DV6000) and while holding the escape key down press the power switch button. If you are successful, the blue LED on the left side next to the SD card slot will light briefly and then go out. About 3 seconds after this you should see the BIOS messages on your display and the system will boot with the display working.

Note that the power settings of your machine can cause the system to go into sleep or hibernation on disuse which will take you right back to the state where you need to do this crazy procedure again. To alleviate this problem change your power settings to not let the laptop go into sleep or hibernation on any idle condition. The most I allow mine to do is go into screen saver and put the disk to sleep but never let it automatically go into hibernate/sleep.

Another thing I do is always shutdown instead of just hibernate/sleep. I do this to try and keep the disk drive from being corrupted by my "crash" power off. If the system is in hibernate or sleep it may try and access the disk drive data and could corrupt the windows partition if I happen to have bad timing and my crash coincides with a disk access.
OMG, to be honest I lost all hope and was just as a last resort trying these "stupid" attempts to try to fix this not booting laptop. But this was just unbelievable! All of a sudden this dead machine came alive! :D Thanks a lot CentralScrutinzer. I'd buy you a meal if I could meet you!
I had the same problem on my wifes dv6500. Called HP but it doesn't fit into their special extended warantee program for the DV6000 seriers ( dv6000-6400). So I put it in the freezer for about 6 hours and woah! It all truned on... I immediately put in the new BIOS which runs the fans more often. I also installed SPEEDFAN to watch my core temp.

It just happened to my daughters PC whic is a DV6700. She just came home from school so in the freezer it goes... and it will get a new bios if it comes up.

Te ventilation on these laptops is rather poor... so don't run them while sitting in blankets where they can't vent enough... or fi on a bed... at least supported somehow so that air passes through.

We'll know tomorrow whether I'm 2 for 2 in this 'freezer Fix'. My engineer friends understand it well een though it seems improbable. Somewhere, there is a capacitor that gets just enough metal shrinkage to make the laptop viable again. I was hoping it would run long enough to riun a backup and install the bios. It's been fine for 3 weeks now.
OK guys, I've poped-out the laptop from the freezer (was in a plastic bag). As expected a lot of moisture formed on the laptop. So I took out the battery, put it in my pocket to warm it up and I placed the laptop in front of a heating dryer. Also I continuously wipe out the drops with a soft towel. I figured out that inside the laptop the moisture is lesser than on the exterior. Anyway after about 1/2 hour the laptop was about the room temperature and dry (cleaner also ;) ).

Unfortunately it was behaving exactly as before: the blue leds blink once then ... the laptop stops. My issue is that the sistem was bought in US and here (Romania) this model is not sold nor repaired. I just wrote to the HP Service. The Extended Warranty covers my model (dv6408nr) but I don't know about the shipping.
Hi guys,
This is my expreince and I want to share with you.
as above mentioned,it happend because of VGA chipset.
The best way is to use the Heatgun to connect the chipset again but if you don't know how to do it,please use the blanket!!
I know it's not a normal way but for one hour wrap your laptop on blanket and after that you can see the HP screen but it's temprory sulotion.
aftar that you can download the bois update from offciall HP website.
becayse the HP report this probelm offcillay through it's website and repair it for free and change the fan algorithme to always works.
cheers
Hesam
Ok. I just found this topic, searching for an answer to my (same) problem with a HP dv6408nr. I just put it into the freezer. So I'm still waiting for an outcome on this. Just to be sure: you said the FREEZER (aka below water freezing temperature), right and not REFRIGERATOR.

Everybody reading this: I read on some forum that charging a frozen battery may lead to explosion! So wait for the battery (and laptop) to warm up to the room temperature !
I am in the process of trying to repair my HP DV6000 with the same problem. I have replaced both the motherboard and the AMD Turion TL-50 processor and it does the same thing. Is there something I am missing?
Hello DuaneS,

I have the same problem, and have done the same as you changed motherboard and AMD Turion 64x2 TL-56 as well as the DC powe jack. Were you able to repair your problem any sugestions?

Thanks for any help possible.
i just repair one the laptop by change the new cpu. after that everything works again.
madharchod english nahi aati to likhta kyu hain???
Hi guys, anyone know any link to youtube or any website, that shows dis-assembly of HP Pavilion DV6-6148 to redo thermal paste for CPU ?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Hello,
I have a dv2000 laptop. I took the whole thing apart. Ive tried everything you guys said and nothing seems to work like resetting it and putting it in the freezer. I press the power button and all I get is lights, and the fan for like 1 second. Nothing else turns on and the screen is blank. Im poor so I cant afford a new motherboard.

Edited*
Any luck getting this fixed? I've got the same problem. just started about 2 days ago.
A
This is motherboard power section problem, 2 x diod fault.
Hello, guys,

I have just had the same problem... My dv6000 notebook is 2.5 years old, so I thought that it is the end of its life, but....

How it started:
1) month ago it won't turn on at all if the AC power cabel is unplugged. I knew that battery is very week, so I thought it is damaged at all. Keeping all the time on AC power solved the problem.
2) one week ago it started to behave like that: starting windows, windows logo appears and it turns off, starts again. I have placed fresh version of win. It was working well.. Till yesterday...
3) Yesterday, after turning on it works only about 3 seconds, blank screen, and restarts automatically. I left it to think all night long how bad is he :) P.S. off course all night I was praying that now it not hard-drive problem....
4) Per night it hadn't changed opinion about my all saved works and photos on it :( In forums I found out that the best solution is to remove battery, let it stay for a while and put it again. Off course, my battery was stuck (problem: slide was on the right like the battery already removed; solution: use two knifes to take it manually. Be careful and choose right and left corners, do not pull them into the middle because you will damage connection! So battery problem solved). So I have taken out the battery and plugged on AC power. It started to work for long time, not for several second but the screen is blank as well... I have decided to take two ways: pull it into the freezer :D :D :D or try to trick it... Freezer thing I have left for the future, so placed in Win installation cd to keep it working.. So, I heard that it is working, it means that it used default setting to start pc using cd. I have removed cd and turned on pc again - windows is working!!!But still without battery - on AC power. It is not the first time when win cd helps, removing it when it starts to work and turning pc on again. I don't what does it mean, but maybe some changes in bios memory being made.. I don't know.
5) Please, make backups in dvd's and external hard drives, because pc's is not reliable.. I have got this lesson now ;)

Good luck using HP pavillion dv's with fascinating design and the shit inside! My next laptop will be non-hp :P

PJ
my hp dv6000, comes on just long enough for the lights to come on and the fan to come on for a second, any ideas
Try looking up "dv6000 towel".

I just tried this and it worked for me. This is the gist of it: you put tape over ALL the vents (I also put tape on the ports and speakers), then wrap it in towels and let it run with the screen open for an hour.

Of course, the difficult part is to get it to run at all, much less for an hour. I took out the battery, the RAM, the hard drive, and the disc drive, then held the power button (not plugged in) for 60 seconds. I put the battery back in (while holding it upside down, not sure if that matters) and powered it up. I didn't actually think this was going to work, but it did. It turned on and stayed on, but nothing showed on the screen.

In this state, I carefully replaced the harddrive, memory, power cord, doors, and disc drive.

I then did the towel method.

For extra measure, I also put the computer in a Wal-Mart bag before the towels.

Hope this helps; mine has gone from trash to useable in 2 hours.
believe it or not. I have had same problem for years. then out of blue today get notice saying 3 updates available for my hp dv6000. Without thinking I download and install and reboot pc. Light BLUE! wireless working perfect. Obviously must have had a bios update in there somewhere.