When I boot up my computer, I get a system failure.

Closed
Enfurneux Posts 1 Registration date Saturday June 15, 2013 Status Member Last seen June 15, 2013 - Jun 15, 2013 at 09:24 PM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Jun 17, 2013 at 05:45 AM
Hello,

When I boot up my computer I get a black screen with:
Primary drive 1 not found
Primary hard disk drive 0 failure
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility
I use a Dell Dimension 2400 that is probably over five years old, I got it used. I've tried disabling the floppy drive like the other threads told me to, but that didn't work. My only other two leads are that I need to replace the drive or the battery.

Regards
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Jun 16, 2013 at 04:15 PM
This sounds like a hard drive failure. You will probably need to replace the drive and re-install Windows.

Good Luck
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Jun 17, 2013 at 05:45 AM
Hi Enfurneux,

When the hard drive is not detected or found in the BIOS, or the system hangs or locks up when trying to boot to the hard drive during POST. You may notice one of the following error messages:

Operating System not found
Primary Hard disk drive 0 not found
Primary Hard disk drive not found
No boot device available

Follow the below mentioned steps and check if these steps help:

1. Power off the Computer.
2. Remove all the attached external devices and power them off.
3. Press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds. Refer to the Service Manual of the computer for the safety instructions and removal steps mentioned below.
4. Open the system cover.
5. Remove the Optical Drive From the Computer.
6. Put the system cover back and connect only power cord, keyboard, mouse and monitor and check if the computer boots.
7. If the issue occurs the problem is with the Optical Drive, try a different optical drive. Similarly, try removing the Floppy Drive and check.
8. If removing the optical drive and Floppy Drive had no effect, repeat steps 1 to 4 and re-seat the Hard Drive cables.
9. Repeat step 6 and check if the Hard Drive is seen by the system BIOS.
10. If the Hard Drive is still not detected, check with a different Hard Drive cable also connect the Hard Drive to a different power connector from the power supply.
11. If the Hard Drive is not detected in step 10, try using a known good Hard Drive or try this Hard Drive in different computer to verify its functionality.

Do reply with results.

Note: The steps mentioned above require you to open the computer chassis. Perform these steps only if you are comfortable; preferably take a technician's help.

To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6