Dell Studio 1458 black screen problem [Closed]

Ask a question Merhaba 3Posts Friday June 21, 2013Registration date June 25, 2013 Last seen - Last answered on Jul 11, 2016 at 08:57 PM by Mani
I have a Dell studio laptop which I have used it for 2 years + and I do have a problem with its screen goes black intermittently while using it. I can hear hear the start up sound but I cannot see anything on the screen. I am using Windows 7 OS and really need help.
Helpful
+7
plus moins
Hi Merhaba,

If you are referring to the tiny light above the AC Adapter plug on the LCD Lid (not the power button light), then this light is "Battery status light". This light is off when the computer is in the following states:

* On
* Off
* Hibernate
* Standby

Check if the computer is entering Hibernate or Standby automatically. To bring the computer out of Standby you must move the mouse or tap any key on the keyboard.

To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6
Was this answer helpful?  
Helpful
+3
plus moins
Hi Merhaba,

You have reported about your Dell Studio 1458 in this thread. The issue you have reported here is altogether different. Please follow the below mentioned steps and reply with results:

1. Power off the computer.
2. Press and hold the "D" key on the keyboard and then press the power button and wait for the computer to start.
3. When the computer starts check if the color patterns are displayed. Check if the video goes off and on during this test.
4. Check Video on external Monitor, if available. Observe if the same behavior is repeated on the external monitor.
5. Run Dell 32-bit Diagnostics on the computer. click here to find steps on how to run Dell 32-Diagnostics.
6. If the Diagnostics returns any error code please mention the exact text of the error message in your reply.

To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6
Merhaba- Jun 24, 2013 at 11:51 PM
I have gone through what suggest and got only warning for the battery. all the rest is function well.
Suddenly I have noticed the light next to the power plug on my laptop is off while still the LED light of the charger is on.
Do you any idea may be the problem is related to this?
dinesh9893 4Posts Tuesday January 14, 2014Registration date January 14, 2014 Last seen - Jan 14, 2014 at 04:04 AM
I have same problem on my Dell Studio 1558 laptop.
when I start laptop screen wont turn on, it remain black but Hard disk, CPU fan are on.
But when I tried this:
1. Power off the computer.
2. Press and hold the "D" key on the keyboard and then press the power button and wait for the computer to start.
I just heard only loud beep sound continuously, but screen remain black.
zubi- Nov 26, 2014 at 03:01 AM
plz help me meray pas dell ka laptop hai haijb on karti hn to screen on nahin ho rahi hai
zubbi- Jan 27, 2015 at 01:28 AM
dell lo he mat..dnt purchase dell..
Helpful
+2
plus moins
The light is right above the power plug not on the screen side but on the laptop body. It is not hibernating because it goes off while I am using it and the screen is still black. When I restart it, it took very long time to restart?
Helpful
+1
plus moins
Hi merhaba,

I am sorry the light I referred to in my previous post is the light above the AC Adapter Port on the base. Are you referring to this light? If yes, this might be a problem with the AC Adapter or battery. Please check if the computer works fine only with the AC Adapter and also, only with the battery.

Thanks & Regards
Zohaib R
#iworkfordell
Helpful
+1
plus moins
I appreciate your help Zohaib R.
Yes, I was referring to that light. I have checked with with Battery along and AC direct power supply. It works fine unless the screen is gone. I have also checked it with another dell charger and it was working, however the light was use to be on now it is on/off.
I am worried that I might lost my HDD because the processor temperature reaches 100 degree Celsius sometimes
Anything that I can check on the hardware part?
Helpful
+1
plus moins
Hi merhaba,

The processor temperature reaching 100º is a matter of concern indeed. Overheating might be the cause of all the problems. Follow the steps below and check if the problem is resolved:

1. It is recommended to use the Laptop in a Room temperature of 0°C to 35°C (32°F to 95°F) with a Humidity level no greater than 90%.
2. Use compressed air to clean the vents on a regular basis. You don't need to open the chassis to clean the vents as there is only one heatsink that sits on graphics card as well as processor. Sometimes the accumulated dust is not visible by simply looking at the vents. To properly clean the vents:

a. Power off the System
b. Unplug the AC Adapter
c. Remove the Battery
d. Use `Compressed Air Can' to blow the dust out of the vents. Do not use your mouth to blow the dust out of a Laptop. Use the `can' according to the directions on the side of the `can' as you can cause damage to the computer if used incorrectly.

3. Outdated BIOS can cause heat issues by having an outdated temperature table for the system. Click here to download the most updated BIOS for your Studio 1458.

Note: Plug your computer to a good, working UPS before you update the BIOS. If you experience a loss of AC power or a significant voltage sag/spike during the BIOS flash, you will either have to buy a new BIOS chip or buy a new motherboard.

Do reply with results.

Helpful
+1
plus moins
Thank you Zohaib for your follow up and guidance.
I have done all what you have suggested [clean the dust, update the Bios,...] but the problem persists. Now even it can't restart. I can hear the noise either the fan or/and the HDD inside but nothing on the laptop screen. I have connected it to another Dell external monitor; there showed few vertical lines with different color blinking and the major area is still black. It asks for repair and I let it to proceed with recovery then it starts up. Then again display this black screen which initiated some square blinking boxes then full black screen while the PC is running.
Let me share the full story of this machine; When it was as new as less than 10 days its monitor goes wrong and Dell sent its service Engineer and replace the display/screen. Then after that it was working for long time [close to 3 years] and suddenly goes to show this black screen. I have formatted it with Windows 7 DVD which was delivered during purchasing. Then it again continue to show this black screen and I have changed it to Ubuntu13... nothing changed still the same. I return it back to Windows and still the problem exists.
I am not sure if this problem is a hardware or software problem? I am really confused what to do with this machine?
Helpful
+1
plus moins
Hi merhaba,

Thank you for trying the steps. As you have mentioned, "I have connected it to another Dell external monitor; there showed few vertical lines with different color blinking and the major area is still black." It is apparent that the problem is with the video card in the machine as the video card displays video on the external monitor. The video card is integrated on the motherboard so you need to replace the motherboard in the machine.

Helpful
+1
plus moins
Thanks for the information Zohaib,
I would like to know your technical advice regarding replacing the motherboard or just replacing the laptop will be economically recommended? I know replacing the laptop with new one will be costly but at least it wont break in months at a normal condition.
So, one of your local agent here suggested to extend the warranty by one year and they will take care of the repair cost. Will it be preferable option from technical and cost wise view?
Helpful
+1
plus moins
Hi merhaba,

Of course, replacing the parts will be cheaper than a new unit. If you wish to replace the motherboard please let me know, I can help you in finding the exact part number for the motherboard.

For warranty related queries you can visit the below mentioned page:

I am out of warranty and need help repairing my computer.

Select your region (country) from the dropdown at the top left of the page to see the available options in your region.

Mani- Jul 11, 2016 at 08:57 PM
hi zohaib r
i have similar issue with dell inspiron 1545
dell logo come then screen goes black
and also the power light go off
i remove cmos battery then its ask time change after a few seconds go black again
initially there is no display with ac adapter just on battery now its displaying on ac after removing cmos battery
i checked your solutions and did that colors come then few second screen go black again
and fan still running after blackout i have to plug out battery or adapter to restart system..... need help seriously
Helpful
+1
plus moins
Hi merhaba,

I request you to private message me the service tag of the system, registered owners name, address, and primary/alternate contact numbers.

To private message, click my user name Zohaib R and click "Write a message".

I would do my best to assist you further.

Awaiting your response!

Helpful
+1
plus moins
I do appreciate the effort you made to help plus extended thanks to the forum.
But I do like to suggest for the buyers not to go for Dell laptop product based on my expereince:
1. The laptops generate high heat to a point that you cannot stand and even the PC also cannot stand
2. The sound system is poor compare to Toshiba,and Acer...
3. More than anything they are expensive and viable to break even within a week ( example, Mine is studio i7, + four other laptops in my lab and my friends laptops are not worth to the payment we made). they all broken and need repair which costs an amount that can afford to buy a laptop with a little adds.
So why not we go for Acer which can be obtained with fair price, excellent spec and good service...
Helpful
+1
plus moins
I've had these screen blanking problems with a Studio 1745 laptop for ages. Also the keyboard and power buttons become unresponsive. Then it suddenly hit me - the 'lid close' switch is faulty and firing randomly. This results on all these symptoms, and is nothing to do with a potentially faulty motherboard, graphics chip, lcd or whatever. For those who are slightly brave, and possess a set of small screwdrivers, you can find many articles about how to permanently disable the lid close switch, also known as a 'Reed switch'.
Helpful
+0
plus moins
Thank you for your advice and yea I would like to go for the purchasing the part [in this case the motherboard].
Helpful
+0
plus moins
Hi merhaba,

Customer feedback remains an important tool in evaluating our products and Services. Thank you for posting your comments.

zubi- Nov 26, 2014 at 03:19 AM
i have dell inspirion 15 harddisk aur fan ki awaz ati hai jb mein laptop on karta hun but screen black a rahi hai plz help
Helpful
+0
plus moins
I Got the Same Problem With My dell studio 1458 Laptop ,So I have taken it for Service Center ,They Told Display IC's were Damaged .So better show it to Service center
Kislay- Jun 24, 2014 at 05:30 AM
Hi Kishore, Even I am facing this issue, but when I called Dell Customer Care, they said, they don't support Studio laptops anymore and I should visit some local service centers ( Not the Dell Service Center). I don't know if that would be safe. I am in Bangalore. Can you suggest me which service center you visited.
suryamani- Sep 18, 2014 at 05:40 AM
hello sir,
i have dell inspiron1440 and suddenly it is not starting after pressing the cpu button.and my laptop charging light is not blinking after connecting to the adapter, please give me suggestion for to avoid this problem.
Mohsin- Jun 20, 2016 at 11:10 AM
I recently downloaded Windows 10 and when i restarted my laptop, the windows logo would appear and it asks for my password but once i log in the secreen is black and all i can see is the little white arrow please help

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?