HDMI Sound Through Laptop, not TV

Closed
aboybano Posts 5 Registration date Sunday June 30, 2013 Status Member Last seen July 4, 2013 - Jun 30, 2013 at 07:18 PM
 steo - Mar 30, 2014 at 09:52 PM
This problem started pretty out of the blue the other day. I use an Allienware m11x r2 and traditionally - meaning for the last about 2 years - connecting to my TV via HDMI has been as simple as just plugging in the cable.

Earlier this week, suddenly I would only get video to the TV and the audio would come through the laptop speakers.

I've tried all the standard fixes. I CANNOT get HDMI to show up under "Playback Devices". Both "Disabled" and "Disconnected" are checked. Only "Speakers: Realtek High Def Audio" shows up. I've tried two different HDMI cables, both ends, and two different TVs. I've updated drivers. In Device Manager, I only have one "High Definition Audio Controller" listed, and its enabled - I saw a few people had this problem, had two on the list and one of them was disabled. I've rebooted multiple times. Basically, I've gone through what seems to be the laundry list of standard solutions for this. I'm hoping maybe I've missed something.

The only thing I can think of that may have altered something is that right before this started happening, I plugged my HDMI into my DirectTV box in a new house - a place I'm at for the summer, so it was the first time I'd used the HDMI cable to connect to that cable box. The HDMI audio works fine when plugged into the cable box.

Any help would be great.

Thanks guys.
Related:

11 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Jul 1, 2013 at 01:19 PM
Hi aboybano,

As you mentioned, you have tried almost all the fixes, I assume you have already tried this one also.

HDMI audio is controlled by the "Audio Controller" on the "Video Card", are your Video Drivers up to date? If not, please download and update the latest Video Drivers from our support site.

To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6
aboybano Posts 5 Registration date Sunday June 30, 2013 Status Member Last seen July 4, 2013
Jul 1, 2013 at 06:23 PM
Though I still did need some driver updates, after spending a bit of time making sure everything was up to date, I am still having the same problem.

No dice on that fix.
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Jul 2, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Hi aboybano,

You mentioned in your first message, "In Device Manager, I only have one "High Definition Audio Controller" listed, and it's enabled". Do you see "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" listed (see the image below)? If not, check under unknown devices. If it is listed under "Unknown Devices", most likely it is drivers problem.

Image - NVIDIA High Definition Audio

To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6
Thanks & Regards
Zohaib R
#iworkfordell
aboybano Posts 5 Registration date Sunday June 30, 2013 Status Member Last seen July 4, 2013
Jul 2, 2013 at 05:29 PM
Zohaib - I don't see that anywhere. The only NVIDA I see anywhere on my device manager is "GeForce GT 540M" under "Display Adapters." That's been upgraded with the latest drivers. I don't even see a section for "Unknown Devices".

ac3mark - No. I have one end of the HDMI in the TV and the other end I have where I can plug it in to either my DirectTV box or my laptop.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Jul 3, 2013 at 09:55 AM
Hi aboybano,

The most updated driver for nVIDIA GT 335 M is "GEFORCE R320 GAME READY DRIVER". This drivers is available for download from here. If you have not tried this driver, please remove all the existing drivers and install this and check if you are able to see "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" in "Device Manager".

Do reply with results.

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Installed the driver but still nothing under Device Manager.
Jul 4, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Hi aboybano,

In "Device Manager" click "View" and click "Show hidden devices". Check under new drivers that are listed as hidden.

Jul 4, 2013 at 04:45 PM
Maybe I'm really missing something, but still nothing. The only NVIDIA option is still the 540M one under Display Adapters.
Jul 7, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Hi aboybano,

I see that "Alienware M11x R2" was shipped with "Nvidia GeForce GT 335M". You have mentioned you are seeing "Nvidia 540M", are we troubleshooting the right machine?

I request you to private message me the service tag of the system, registered owners name, address, and primary/alternate contact numbers.

To private message, click my user name Zohaib R and click "Write a message".

I would do my best to assist you further.

Awaiting your response!

same issue of setup that had been working suddenly not sending sound through HDMI... for me, turns out in Device Manager, and down at the bottom of the list, under system devices, I found that the High Definition Audio Controller was disabled, mysteriously and on its own! Only recent change was the installation of Winamp. I enabled it, and the audio was immediately transferred to my TV!
Blocked Profile
Jul 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Hey I am just passing through, but one thing that sticks out to me is the comment of....

"I plugged my HDMI into my DirectTV box in a new house - a place I'm at for the summer, so it was the first time I'd used the HDMI cable to connect to that cable box."

So, you put the HDMI from your laptop to the cable box? To display the cable channel on your monitor?

Please pardom me for the interuption.