No signal from the PC to Monitor

Closed
Dreddwulf88 Posts 3 Registration date Monday July 1, 2013 Status Member Last seen July 2, 2013 - Jul 1, 2013 at 01:18 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jul 2, 2013 at 04:57 PM
This problem has been long term for me at the moment since I've been trouble shooting this issue for the last month or so to try and fix my PC. I assumed at first that it was my graphics card because my keyboard would light up and I could trigger the numlock on and off, which means the computer was booting, it just didn't have a signal to the monitor. So I searched through my things and found a spare card and popped it in and presto, the computer fired up. I did a few things on the PC, but noticed the screen would flash occasionally, which I assumed was an issue with drivers on the card. I didn't have the time to update the drivers before I left so I powered down the PC and was going to do it later. I come back to work on the PC and the same issue returned. All of the fans power up, the hard drive starts, but no boot screen and no signal to the monitor. This time, however, the numlock light would not light up on the keyboard and the lights never flashed on the keyboard. I tested the wire from the card to the monitor, which is still good and so I assumed, at this point, that my mobo has shorted out my graphics card.

However, upon further review of my old card, the fan appeared to be seizing up so it must have overheated and burnt out. My thoughts at this point now are that the card must have caused a short in the mobo, which in turn shorted out the other graphics card. The CPU is still good, as is the RAM, the HDD and DVD drive are also in good working order and the power supply is a brand new modular PS that I bought to replace my old one after it crapped out. I'm just looking for one of two things here: Validation on my solution to fix the PC or a solution to get me up and going which hopefully will either cost me nothing or less than a new mobo and graphics card
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Jul 1, 2013 at 12:58 PM
I agree that you probably have a motherboard problem.

Good Luck
Dreddwulf88 Posts 3 Registration date Monday July 1, 2013 Status Member Last seen July 2, 2013
Jul 1, 2013 at 05:14 PM
Well, further update to the problem; I had the computer unplugged and plugged it in again ladt night and everything powered up just fine. The CMOS was all messed up from being unplugged so ill need a new battery, but it ran fine for about a little less than hour and then it suddenly shut down. It powered itself on but then it was like it didn't boot up at all. Is this pointing to a mobo issue still or is it something else now too?
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Jul 1, 2013 at 05:36 PM
I would try a new battery and set the BIOS to it's "SAFE" settings. It's a long shot but batteries only cost $5.
Dreddwulf88 Posts 3 Registration date Monday July 1, 2013 Status Member Last seen July 2, 2013
Jul 2, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Ill need to adjust the jumpers to set it to safe settings right? I'm a little rusty on my BIOS knowledge
Jul 2, 2013 at 04:57 PM
NO. you might find a setting in the BIOS giving default options for "optimal", "normal" and "safe". Selecting "safe" is the best option if you have a flaky MB.