Unable to access control panel or admin tools + more trouble

Closed
johnluther Posts 7 Registration date Friday July 5, 2013 Status Member Last seen July 6, 2013 - Jul 5, 2013 at 04:48 AM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Jul 6, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Hello,
I joined kioskea mainly for tackling the problem that my desktop is having right now. It has never been in such a horrible state. I'm not a geek/expert. but I've tried a few things referring the internet. So please help me out.

First things first, let me explain what the problems are:
All the problems that I'm stating here, occurred after I tried to remove the "RECYCLER" virus from my external devices. I followed these steps from this forum itself link- https://ccm.net/forum/affich-474271-files-on-external-drive-changed-to-shortcuts#1

And I think it started when I tweaked with the registry, when I did this https://ccm.net/forum/affich-474271-files-on-external-drive-changed-to-shortcuts#52 Though I created a backup, I'm not able to restore it. It says there's an error while trying to open it. I tried system restore, but no restore points could be found.

1. The control panel is not working
I'm able to open it. But the only thing that appears is a blank window (with none of the options in control panel); and the window gets stuck or unresponsive. May be due to a corrupt cpl file (after referring the net. but not sure on what that is)

2. Services like regedit, anti-virus softwares, etc. cannot be opened in normal mode
I suspect it has to be a virus, that disables such services. But I did a scan using Avast in safe mode and didnt find any virus.

3. Lost Admin privileges, though I'm using the admin user account
I tried to install the BitDefender antivirus initially after all these problems occurred. But the installation could not be completed as it pointed out that I did not have admin privileges.

4. Theme set to classic windows theme automatically. Unable to use Personalize option
My windows 7 theme has been reset to a classic window theme, and I'm not able to alter it.

Though the "RECYCLER" issue was fixed initially, it has come up again and now its even worse- I'm starting to lose the data from the devices I connect. (The folders are getting converted to 72kB folders, which cannot be opened).

Folks, please do help me out.
Related:

1 response

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jul 5, 2013 at 05:40 AM
Hello,

Try this 1

The registry fix/Tweak regarding disabling the autorun.inf functionality has

nothing to do with the issues now you are facing. It only disables the autorun.inf.

We just hope that you have followed the instructions carefully. The given

solutions are for stopping the files getting turned into shortcuts and getting your

original files back. We have never mentioned that you apply that solution for the

"RECYCLER" fix.

The given registry fix/tweak doesn't create such major/minor issue.

All the feedback's can be seen in the thread itself. It has something

to do with other things that you have done. Let us know what you have tried

before ? Did you installed any applications ?

I've tried a few things referring the internet.

The above line is taken from your post. It seems like you have started

applying bunch of solution given by other to fix your issues. You need to ask for

help when you are not sure about what you are doing.

Let me know the account type you are using? Is is the limited account? Do you

have Windows 7 DVD ?

Good Luck
johnluther Posts 7 Registration date Friday July 5, 2013 Status Member Last seen July 6, 2013
Jul 5, 2013 at 07:13 AM
jack4all,
First of all thanks for the solution you gave on the other post. Yes I actually meant the shortcut thing itself (I thought the RECYCLER virus was the same thing. Doesn't it also convert your folders into shortcuts).
I tried the registry fix using ccleaner, thinking that it was some issue with the registry. And also I had my Audio drive not functioning, which I resolved (All happened after I did the fix- so I mistook that that had caused it.)
Well, if that's not the reason, I remember doing a complete scan of my drives using Malwarebytes and I removed some of the threats that it showed. Could this be the reason?
Unfortunately, I don't have the windows 7 DVD, and cannot approach windows for assistance (if you know what I mean)
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jul 5, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
The given fix regarding autorun.inf doesn't create a major/minor issues.
Regarding the "Recycler" folder, click on the below link
Recycler
So here we can't say its not a Genuine folder.
Regarding CCleaner, you need to make sure that its updated when comes to registry cleaning.
Reason:If there is any bug in it, they will fix it in the update.
Did you made a backup copy of your registry file in CCleaner? Also there will be a Malwarebytes log file on the desktop. Upload it to https://authentification.site and paste the download url here.
Let me know the account you are using. Is it a limited account ?
Are you able to open the command prompt?
Meanwhile try the below instruction.
1) When you switch ON your laptop, start tapping the "F8" key to get
"Advanced Boot Options" ( if boot menu appears, press "Esc" key and keep tapping the F8 key)
2) Select the option "Last know Good Configuration" and press Enter.
3) If the problem still exists, then follow the Step 1 and this time select the option "Repair Your Computer".
Good Luck
johnluther Posts 7 Registration date Friday July 5, 2013 Status Member Last seen July 6, 2013
Jul 5, 2013 at 12:35 PM
I've personally sent you the log files. Check your pm.
And bad luck mate, I tried the "Last know Good Configuration", but now my system gets stuck. Not able to do anything. After I login into my user account, though the desktop theme has been restored (windows 7 aero theme) the system just freezes (the cursor just turns into that 'circular' symbol which indicates loading). And I can't open the task manager too. Had to press the power button to switch it off. :-(

And what did you mean by 'limited account'? Did you mean the 'administrator user'? (if so, I'm accessing through my admin user). And yes, I was able to open the cmd before the present freezing situation.
Jul 5, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Hello,
Try this 1
I will check the log file. Try the below instructions.
When you switch ON your laptop, start tapping the "F8" key to get
"Advanced Boot Options" ( if boot menu appears, press "Esc" key and keep tapping the F8 key)
Select the option "Safe Mode". Let me know if you are able to boot into it.
Have you also tried the "Repair your Computer" ?
Good Luck
Jul 5, 2013 at 01:10 PM
Yes. I'm able to use the safe mode (using it at the moment). I tried "Repair your Computer" but no good.