INSPIRON N5050 Laptop refuses to turn on.

Solved/Closed
kingkitty Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday July 16, 2013 Status Member Last seen July 16, 2013 - Jul 16, 2013 at 06:03 PM
 ram - Feb 2, 2015 at 09:03 AM
My INSPIRON N5050 Windows 7 laptop has all of a sudden ceased to turn on. Before I went to bed, I unfortunately left the laptop on my carpet floor near my bed. I closed the laptop, usually the laptop would go into a type of sleep mode where it would conserve energy. The laptop was not plugged in with the adapter at this time. Today I plugged in the adapter and the laptop did not turn on when I pressed the power button. The entire laptop was cold.

The power adapter looks to be working, the green light is still on, even when I plugged it into the laptop. I've tried multiple sockets in my house to see if there's any difference,there isn't.

I read online about a trick where you take out the battery, take out the adapter, and any other devices, press the power button for 30 seconds, then plug in the adapter, that it might turn on the laptop. I've tried that multiple times, it did not work. I've even tried it once by plugging in the adapter and the battery, still did not work.

No matter how much I press the power button, there is no indication that there's anything working in the laptop. No fan movements, no sounds, no light pops up on the keyboard when I press capslock, absolutely nothing.

I don't think I got a warranty, might just get a new laptop, although I would love it if someone has any ideas as the nature of the problem, and if it's easily fixable, thanks in advance.

4 responses

carminabigue Posts 620 Registration date Tuesday March 19, 2013 Status Member Last seen June 10, 2015 125
Jul 16, 2013 at 07:12 PM
Replace the CMOS battery. Your problem will be resolved.
kingkitty Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday July 16, 2013 Status Member Last seen July 16, 2013 1
Jul 16, 2013 at 07:07 PM
Nevermind. I left the charger in my laptop with the battery taken out for an hour or two and now it suddenly has turned on. crisis averted.
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Jul 17, 2013 at 06:22 AM
Hi kingkitty,

I am glad to know that the issue has been fixed. However, consider running ePSA on your laptop to ensure none of the hardware component is failing. Inspiron N5050 is equipped with Dell ePSA (Enhanced Pre-boot System Assessment). Dell ePSA can run a thorough test on the hardware components in your computer to ensure they are functional.

To run ePSA:

1. Tap F12 during startup.
2. Select Diagnostics.
3. The ePSA starts running the quick test without waiting for user input.
4. Tap the Esc key.
5. Select one hardware component at a time.
6. Click "Thorough" radio button at the bottom.
7. Click "Run Tests".
8. Repeat this process for each hardware component.

If the test returns any error code, please reply with the same.

To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6
problem is hdd erros