Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop Monitor Turning Black After Startup

Closed
plainsfire Posts 1 Registration date Monday July 22, 2013 Status Member Last seen July 22, 2013 - Jul 22, 2013 at 09:26 AM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Jul 22, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Hello all,

Having an issue with my Inspiron 1525. I will start it up, and the screen will come up for a few seconds, long enough to get through the Dell start up screen.

A second or two after that, though, the monitor goes black, and I can not get it to come back on. Occasionally, after a minute, it will come back on for a second or two, but then goes black again.

The machine is making it's normal startup noises, and if I do a hard shutdown, and get lucky, the monitor will stay on long enough for me to get the "Windows did not shut down completely" screen, with the option to start in Safe Mode. However, it goes black again before I can do anything. ( At least with this, I know Windows is loading.)

I have noticed that if I do a hard shutdown a couple of times and get it to the screen where I can choose repair install or start normally, and let it start normally, chkdsk comes up and runs (and finds no issues), and the monitor runs normally.

If I get it to run normally, I can shut it off, let it sit for a few minutes, and restart it, and everything works normally. I only seem to get the blacked out monitor when I start the machine after a period of it being off, say overnight, or at least a few hours.

Here is something that may be related: For the past couple of weeks, my charger is not working fully. The CPU says it can not identify the charger, and will not recharge, and the CPU "may run slower." However, when I use another charger, I do not get that issue. May the monitor issue be related to this?

Anyway, I am at my wits' end. Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance,
Chris
Related:

1 response

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Jul 22, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Hi Chris,

To ensure none of the hardware is failing in the computer please run Dell 32-bit Diagnostics and see if it returns any error codes. Click here to find steps on how to run Dell 32-bit Diagnostics. If the tests return any error code, please add the same in your reply. After completing Diagnostics try to boot the computer into Safe Mode and let us know if it is successfully every time.

To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6