Reset without recovery disk, error F3-F100-0004

Closed
ttotty0 Posts 7 Registration date Friday August 9, 2013 Status Member Last seen August 9, 2013 - Aug 9, 2013 at 09:22 AM
 Blocked Profile - Aug 10, 2013 at 10:22 AM
I tried the "hold down 0 and start", my laptop beeps but doesn't go to another screen. It just reads loading windows files and puts error message up again. How can I get passed this issue?
Related:

10 responses

ttotty0 Posts 7 Registration date Friday August 9, 2013 Status Member Last seen August 9, 2013 2
Aug 9, 2013 at 10:44 AM
yes, you are correct. And I have never opened it. I can get to boot menu and a settings screen. But don't know where to go after. Thanks for your help!!
ttotty0 Posts 7 Registration date Friday August 9, 2013 Status Member Last seen August 9, 2013 2
Aug 9, 2013 at 10:56 AM
I appriciate everything, hope step by step will match screens. Tried other but didn't have options that were posted.
Blocked Profile
Aug 9, 2013 at 09:29 AM
Good Morning,

In my research, the cuse of these issues arise when you attempt to go back to factory settings with a Toshiba Laptop. What Make and Model is your laptop? What O/S? How Old is the Laptop? Please disregard this posting if your laptop is not a toshiba (but you failed to mention a very important detail).

This what I have found so far .....Caused by resetting to factory defaults....

"You have two choices, you can either contact Toshiba and see if it is possible to purchase a set of Recovery Disks for you particular laptop. Or, you borrow (as you have already thought of) a Windows 7 OS disc. Keep in mind this disc must be the same version of Windows 7 that is written on your Product Key sticker. This will probably be stuck underneath the laptop. If you try to use a different version your product key will not work."
Aug 9, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Satellite A505 sorry, yes toshiba, I have recovery disks, but can't get to load from disk.
Blocked Profile
Aug 9, 2013 at 10:32 AM
OK, When you say can't load from disk, does it not spin/not exsist? or not sure how to change boot order to spin disk first?

In order to streamline this step, if it is the second options, then get into bios (you will see an option at boot up to open bios by hitting a key, change boot order to disk), save and exit, and reboot. Be certain to change back once stable.

If ned be (as you have never opened bios before), I will post step by step.

Let us know!

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Blocked Profile
Aug 9, 2013 at 11:00 AM
OK. The important thing about this next step, is if you are not sure, DO NOT save anything and exit. Re-open and verify what you want to change is what you want to change.

I found this on Toshiba...
From the Boot Device Menu (temporary setting)

When the TOSHIBA splash screen is displayed when you first turn on your computer, a boot menu prompt may be displayed for a few seconds near the bottom of the screen, indicating that a key (F2 or F12, for example) can be pressed to display a menu of boot options. The time allowed for detecting the keypress is very brief, so you'll need to be both prepared and quick.

On some models this prompt reads Press F12 for boot menu. On others, it may say Press C to boot from CD-ROM. On still others, there may be a row of colored icons representing the various boot devices (HDD, FDD, CD, LAN, PCMCIA, etc.) Press F12 while these icons are displayed, and then use the arrow keys to move the cursor from one to another. As new models are released, the wording of these prompts may change.

On models that offer a text boot device menu, simply press the key corresponding to the desired boot device from the list of available devices.

The selection of a boot device from any of these boot device menus affects only the current startup operation; the next time the computer is started it will follow the boot priority setting established in BIOS Setup (see the BIOS Setup method, above).
To save, you will probalby hit like F10 to save and exits (each on can be different)

....once again, change the Boot order to CD first and save. put the disk in and reboot. The disk should spin up and say do you wish to reinstall or repair, select repair.
Aug 9, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Screen now reads: in all XXX No cd/net with A:\> in bottom left corner
Blocked Profile
Aug 9, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Change it to the CD, not the SCSI or SATA.
Aug 9, 2013 at 11:16 AM
I did that. That's when that message came up
Blocked Profile
Aug 9, 2013 at 11:23 AM
The disk, is it a windows install disk? I am doing some research....

Is this a Windows98 machine? :(

I found this in case it is not...
Method: Using the Recovery partition

Toshiba laptops from mid-2007 onwards don't have a recovery disc supplied with the laptop. Instead, Toshiba has added a hidden partition on the hard drive which contains the same files as a recovery CD/DVD.

To restore your laptop to its factory settings, follow these steps:

Warning: All data on the hard drive will be erased. Back up any important data before proceeding. Make sure the computer is connected to a power supply and do not switch it off or restart during the process. *1) Hold down the power button for ten seconds to switch off your machine *Please note: Holding down the power button on the machine forces it to switch off. Any unsaved data will be lost.

*2) Press and hold the zero key and at the same time, tap the power button once to switch on your notebook
*3) When the machine starts beeping, release the zero key
*4) When prompted by the warning screen, select Yes to continue with the system recovery
*5) Select Recovery of Factory Default Software and click Next
*6) Select Recover to out-of-box state and Click Next again
*7) Click Next to Start the recovery

from this post....
https://ccm.net/faq/4811-restore-toshiba-laptop-to-factory-settings#method-using-the-recovery-partition
Aug 9, 2013 at 03:52 PM
Windows 98 comes on screen. the hold 0 and start doesn't lead to a warning screen, it continues on to give the error code. the disk is a recovery disk.
Blocked Profile
Aug 10, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Yea I am certain that if you are running windows98 that the toshiba model you have, was manufactured prior to 2007.

Support for that O/S ran out in July 11, 2006.

Did the link on the previous post help?