Laptop suddenly shut down, tried "hard reset", and then it restarted e

Closed
pcnubies Posts 2 Registration date Friday August 30, 2013 Status Member Last seen August 30, 2013 - Aug 30, 2013 at 01:08 PM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Sep 2, 2013 at 05:50 PM
I hope the long title of question describes it pretty well.

My laptop is HP 430. Tonight, it suddenly shut down. It was being charged with AC adapter plugged in. I thought the battery was dead or the adapter. Press power button many times, and it was dead. I checked the adapter and battery in identical laptop and both worked well.

I found solution to wake the dead laptop in Kioskea: to remove the battery, unplug the power chord (AC adapter), press power button for 30 seconds, plug adapter back in, power on, and put battery back in. Yes, it worked. The laptop woke up and I was jumping happily until I saw it on for couple of seconds and off again. Endlessly.

Please help.

PCnubies
Related:

2 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Aug 30, 2013 at 02:24 PM
Hi pcnubies,

Try these steps and reply with results:

1. Remove all external peripherals and power source from the laptop and "Drain Flea Power". To "Drain Flea Power" after removing the AC Adapter and Battery press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds.
2. Connect the AC Adapter only and power on the computer, observe if you hear any beep codes or any other light indicators.
3. If no change is observed, repeat step 1 and remove the "Customer Removable Units" from the laptop. You can find a list customer removable units (parts) from the Service Manual of the laptop. Customer removable unit may include Memory Modules. In this case remove both the memory from their respective slots and follow the next step.
4. Repeat step 2 and check if there is any change or computer exhibits memory beeps.
5. If beeps are heard connect only one memory module and perform step 2.
6. If the computer seems to complete POST and boot to Windows try connecting the other components removed in step 3 one by one. If the computer boots to Windows normally the issue is fixed. Else if the computer still not able to complete POST, try to isolate which of the remaining components is causing the issue.

The above steps are for isolating if any of the CRUs (Customer Removable Units) are causing any issues.

Note: The steps mentioned above require you to open the computer chassis. Before you open the computer chassis ensure all power connections including battery and external devices are removed. After removing all of this, press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds to release any Flea Power in the computer. Preferably take a technician's help.
pcnubies Posts 2 Registration date Friday August 30, 2013 Status Member Last seen August 30, 2013
Aug 30, 2013 at 07:56 PM
Thank you!! I tried your detailed step by step and isolated the problem. Turned out that it was one of two memory modules causing the havoc. Replace the bad one and I'm back in business.
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Sep 2, 2013 at 05:50 PM
Hi pcnubies,

I am glad to know we could help. Please feel free to contact us if you have any further queries.