Laptop turns on but screen stays off(hardware reset tried)

Closed
pan_mats Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday September 3, 2013 Status Member Last seen September 3, 2013 - Sep 3, 2013 at 03:07 PM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Sep 4, 2013 at 07:22 PM
Hello,

I have just bought my new Toshiba Satelite Pro L870-17X laptop(today).

Because it comes with windows 8 which i dont like I decided to downgrade it to windows 7.

I disabled secured booting to change the boot type and proceed to format from dvd.

After deleting all partitions (system,recovery, everything) leaving it with one unallocated space I formated and pc restarted with no problem.

My new windows 7 was starting fresh with no problem.

But windows didint recognize my wifi or ethernet so i downloaded the driver from another laptop and installed it from my flash disk.

I tried to restart from that point when I installed the wifi driver and it doesnt start!
I press the power button,laptop makes noise so I understand it works but the screen started flashing showing absolutely nothing!It just lights on and off, no toshiba logo nothing!

Tried hardware reset(removing all power adapters and pressing power button for some time)
Tried clear cmos nothing.
Tried removing hdd nothing.
tried removing and cleaning the ram nothing.

I dont know what the hell is hapening if anyone has ANY idea please reply.
Laptop is brand new and i dont know why its behaving like that but i think its something about the mbr or the hard disk. Cant find where to start or something.

btw after removing and reinstalling the ram screen doesnt flash at all. it is just black, no backlights. I am pretty sure I put it back correctly.

Related:

2 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Sep 3, 2013 at 03:38 PM
Hi pan_mats,

Try using single Memory Module (RAM) at a time in each slot one by one and check if the computer starts normally. This will isolate if the problem is with the RAM or the RAM slots on the motherboard. If you are not able to isolate the point of failure by trying this step, it is recommended to contact Toshiba Support for next course of action as your laptop is brand new.
pan_mats Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday September 3, 2013 Status Member Last seen September 3, 2013
Sep 3, 2013 at 07:20 PM
Already tried using both ram slots one by one but still didnt make any change.. Unfortunately couldn't come to any conclusion :/
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Sep 4, 2013 at 07:22 PM
Hi pan_mats,

As these basic troubleshooting steps didn't help you isolate the problem and you mentioned your laptop is brand new, please contact Toshiba support for further assistance.