Mac Os X : documents lost after creating a new Admin.

Closed
riff81 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday September 19, 2013 Status Member Last seen September 21, 2013 - Sep 19, 2013 at 08:06 PM
riff81 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday September 19, 2013 Status Member Last seen September 21, 2013 - Sep 21, 2013 at 07:18 AM
Hello,

I have a problem and I hope that someone here can help.
I follwed the istruction about revoving and restore the root password.
The procedure guided me to set a new root account and a new password for root. It's worked 100% fine but when I restarted my laptop, all my documets on the desktop and inside the folders were deleted.
I didn't know that. I thought that the procedure guide me just to fix the problem with password but eventually it guided me to make a formattation.
I'm still not shure what kind of things I made. But I hope that there is a way to restore my old documents.

Hope that someone can help me to fix it!!!

Thanks!

Related:

3 responses

riff81 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday September 19, 2013 Status Member Last seen September 21, 2013
Sep 20, 2013 at 01:00 PM
Hello Bridget,

First Thank You for your reply.
As soon I can i will try with the software that you've suggested. Unfortunately this is'a mac of a friend of mine.
So I followed this guide below but I suggest to write that this procedure will erase all the data on your Macbook!!!...at least for the people like me that are not so expert.

So Thank You again. I let you Know as soon as I can!

Best Regards!

"Creating a new Admin on Mac Os X:
Here's how to reset your OS X password without an OS X CD.
the Working solution for me was to create a new admin
you can create new admin like this by deleting a specific file.

You need to enter terminal and create a new admin account:

1. Reboot
2. Hold apple key + s key down after you hear the chime.
(command + s keys on newer Macs)
3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and your good to go again!

Apple stores wont reset it for you. Computer shops may charge you $50 to $200 trying to reinstall the Mac and failing at the end.
Bridget. Posts 3816 Registration date Monday July 16, 2012 Status Contributor Last seen February 21, 2014 6
Sep 21, 2013 at 06:29 AM
Hello Riff,

I saw that the software I gave you first does not support Mac. So I looked for an other and I found this one. It seems to be a freeware. I never tried it.

Download Disk Drill here :[http://www.commentcamarche.net/download/telecharger-34089351-disk-drill#q=Drill+disk&cur=1&url=%2FI]

Explanations in this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wobEIFTRS8w

Remember :
- don't use your hard drive before recovery, because if you write new entries on it, you will overwrite définitively your data.

- don't save the recovered data on the partition being explored.
For example, save them on an external drive.

- Take the option : "deep scan".

Concerning the procedure you followed, please for another time, give the link because I just understood now it was a "How-to" of Kioska's database. There are thousands.
I'll make go back your observations so that someone more qualified than me about Mac come help you.

I'll let you know. I hope this be helpful to you. Good luck for recovering your data.

Best regards. Bridget.
riff81 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday September 19, 2013 Status Member Last seen September 21, 2013
Sep 21, 2013 at 07:18 AM
Thank You So Much Bridget,

I will try It and I'll let you Know!

TAKE CARE
riff81