Copy conditional formatting for an entire row based on one cell [Solved]

Ask a question Maurits Kvåle 2Posts Wednesday October 2, 2013Registration date October 4, 2013 Last seen - Latest answer on Sep 19, 2016 04:47PM
Hello.
I'm working on an Excel sheet, where the entire row is coloured based on the values of two cells in the current row. If one of the cells in the row is marked with an "x", the whole row gets one colour (green), and if another cell is marked with an "x", the whole row gets one colour (red).
This is OK, and I made that rule work perfectly. However, when I want to copy this to the next row, the formula wont change. It automaticly comes with "$B$1" (for example), and I can't change it to be only "B1". So when I copy the conditional formatting from one row to the next, the second row will also be coloured based on the values in the first row.
And, I am going to apply this on 1000 rows, so it will take me atleast a year to change every formula individually.
Is there anything I can do to copy this conditional formatting to the next 999 rows, where it also switches the formula to the next cell underneath?
Any help would be really appriciated. I've googled this for a while now and haven't found any solutions on the web yet.
Best regards
Maurits from Norway :-)
See more 
Helpful
+34
moins plus
Maurits, Good morning.

Greetings from Brazil.

Try to use only $B1 instead $B$1

Tell us if it worked for you.
Belo Horizonte, Brasil.
Marcílio Lobão
Natalya- Aug 11, 2015 02:27AM
Thank you for helping me as well!! Was stuggling for about a half hour trying to figure something out!
PAULY- Jan 9, 2016 09:57AM
GENIUS!! Thank you SOOOOOO much!!
Alice- Mar 31, 2016 10:49AM
This just saved me so much time! Thank you!
Mark- Apr 26, 2016 07:52AM
I've spent an hour trying to fix my spreadsheet, and now after reading this thread I've got it to work! Thank you!
grantsgirl- May 24, 2016 04:14PM
Thank you I was working on a spreadsheet for an hour trying figure this out!
Add comment
Helpful
+4
moins plus
Maurits, Good evening.

I feel glad to help you.
Have a nice weekend.

Greetings from Brazil
allan- Aug 10, 2016 11:58PM
"you cannot use relative references in conditional formatting criteria for color scales, data bars, and icon sets."
allan- Aug 10, 2016 11:59PM
i used "$B1" but didnt work :(
Add comment
Helpful
+1
moins plus
Yes, I figured it out.

With "$B1" for example.

Worked out great :-)

Add comment
Helpful
+1
moins plus
excellent, thanks
Add comment
Helpful
+0
moins plus
Greetings from Canada, $B1 instead $B$1 is great trick, it helped me too.
Thank you
Sanket- Jun 15, 2016 08:46AM
It worked, thanks (Sanket from India)
Add comment
Helpful
+0
moins plus
Hi all,

this is an old question, but mine is related, so I don´t want to make a new one :-)

The copying is OK. Only with one negative:

In my table, I have CF that marks the whole row based on what is written in the 1. cell (a.k.a. if in A1 is "OK", the whole A row in a table will be marked green)
But if I copy this CF (via format painter) to B1, the CF for B1 applies only for B1, not for the whole B row

- the CF is as formula "=$A8="OK"", applies to "=$A$8:$V$8"
(I cannot change the applies to into "=$A8:$V8", as it always automatically changes to =$A$8:$V$8" :-(

- after copying the format (the CF) to cell A9, the formula changes to "=$A9="OK"", but the applies to changes only to "=$A$9"

Is there a way to copy the CF, so it also copies the "applies to" range (in this case that it will automatically set the applies to in A9 to ""=$A$9:$V$9"?

I have about 400 rows and absolutely no time to do it manually :-(

thanks a lot
Kathi- Sep 19, 2016 08:46AM
found it :-D
Tanya- Sep 19, 2016 12:44PM
What was the solution to your query? I am facing the exact issue. Please help me.
Kathi- Sep 19, 2016 04:47PM
Hi Tanya, you have to select the whole tablet row (not excel row, but tablet row), click Format painter and then you can just click on the first cell in the row you want to copy it into. Only remember that the conditional formatting has to be set as e.g. "$A9", not "$A$9" (relative reference).
Like this it was copied to the whole row :-)

Hope I wrote it fine, I am not really good in explaining excel :-D

Kathi
Add comment

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!