Western Digital - My Passport not detected

Closed
haripreet Posts 1 Registration date Monday October 21, 2013 Status Member Last seen October 21, 2013 - Oct 21, 2013 at 07:37 AM
djkondisplay Posts 1 Registration date Saturday February 25, 2017 Status Member Last seen February 25, 2017 - Feb 25, 2017 at 01:46 AM
Hi
My Western Digital is not getting detected which was working 2 days ago Suddenly this was not detected and following is happening after connecting in my laptop (Win 7 64 bit OS)
a) Light appearing on the drive.
b) Hearing sound from the drive.

I have gone to device manager and there are no yellow marks
In Device Manager, I clicked on Disk Drives and I see my disk drive "WD My Passport 0730 USB Device". Right clicking on it and then "Update Driver Software" returns that my driver is up to date. Right clicking on it and then "Properties" says "The Device is working Properly"

Can you please assist
Thank you
Hari
Related:

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Oct 21, 2013 at 04:12 PM
Hi

After plugging in the device, go to device manager (In run type "devmgmt.msc") In Device manager go to "Universal serial bus controllers" It should list the storage devices that you have connected to your PC. Right click and then click "Uninstall. Remove the USB drive and restart your system.
Try connecting the device again. I think this should solve the problem.
Im having the same issue, running on Windows 8.1 32bits. did what you said Ambucias but no lock what so ever.

Any other clue?
Ed > Diegom507
Apr 12, 2015 at 04:03 PM
Hi, I just had the same issue: upgraded laptop to Win8.1 Pro 64bit and suddently WD My Passport 2Tb not showing in My Computer, although device working properly.
Fix has extremely simple, go and assign the drive a drive letter under disk management (found instructions from 2010 for Vista Home but worked fine https://ccm.net/forum/affich-86235-western-digital-is-not-recognized
Hope this helps!
I am having trouble activating my WD hard drive with my Mac Book Pro. The blue light comes on but doesn't communicate with my computer.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > Lizzie
Aug 3, 2016 at 02:57 AM
Hi Lizzie,

Is your hard drive a brand new one? It is highly possible that it has been preformatted in NTFS file format, for Windows usage. You need to format it in order to use it on your Mac. You should open Disk Utilities and select the WD drive and the desired file format. I leave you some links with some detailed instructions:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3997461?tstart=0 - How to format WD external drive for Mac
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=zsmej9 - How to partition and format a WD drive on Windows and Mac OSX

If your hard drive is not new and you have been using it without any difficulties, open Disk Utilities and check if the drive is recognized. Do you have important data on the drive?

Hope this helps
djkondisplay Posts 1 Registration date Saturday February 25, 2017 Status Member Last seen February 25, 2017 > R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017  
Feb 25, 2017 at 01:46 AM
I have the same issue. My WD My Passport (older) is not recognized anymore on my Macbook. OS is Yosemite 10.10.5, and the device turns on when plugged into USB, but does not show up in finder or even disk utility. Don't know if it needs to be reformatted for my updated OS or what, but if so, how do I even find it? I think the last time I used it was at least a year or 2 ago... maybe on leopard?

TIA!