How To Display External USB on Computer [Solved/Closed]

Ask a question Anton179 1Posts Saturday November 16, 2013Registration date November 16, 2013 Last seen - Last answered on Jul 17, 2017 at 07:10 AM by Checkpoint_101
Hello,
I would like to open up this previously solved topic again as I am having the same problem on Windows 7 with a Samsung 500Gb External USB HDD. I can see the drive under my devices, I can update the driver but when I try to access it, it does not exist on my computer.

Did the Diskpart check:

1. Click Start and type Diskpart in the search box.
2. Right-click diskpart in the search results > click Run as administrator.
3. Once diskpart loads type list volume, press enter.

4. You should notice that you will see your 2 TB Western Digital Hard Drive, it should not show a drive letter assigned to it.
5. Type select volume 1 (replace 1 with the volume number assigned to the Hard Drive in question).
6. Type assign letter Z (replace Z with the letter that you want to assign to it).

but my volume does not exist in the list...

See more 
Helpful
+9
plus moins
I also have a Seagate... I think you just need to set a letter for the volume and it will come to life.

I did this.
As above, used computer management.
1 Type "computer management" in the search bar after you click on the start button.
2 Right click and "run as administrator"
3 Look into the left side of the columns.
4 FIRST click on device manager, and go to USB (universal serial bus controllers) and uninstall, install the mass storage driver... (just in case as in the first responses above).
5 replug your hard drive, and whilst still with the computer management
6 Go to Storage/disk management. In the bottom pane window where you see the partitions, (with the coloured bars on top graphically showing you the disks) you will find one of them, your external HDD, with NO letter.
7 Right click over the offending no letter drive (the one you re-plugged in) and choose "change drive letter and paths"
8 Select a letter but choose wisely! NOT C or D or something that is in normal use, something else.
9 Windows will then pop up and register your external HDD just like when you plug in your phone!
cibi- Oct 4, 2016 at 06:44 AM
mine was seagate , it worked just fine after doing "uninstall" steps as above... thanks
funsome- Mar 28, 2017 at 12:22 AM
OMG You're amazing!!! Thank You!!!!
Mark C.- May 2, 2017 at 01:22 PM
Thank you very much ! All I had to do was to assign a drive letter to the drives that weren't showing up and all is good with the world again ! :-)
Gato- Jun 2, 2017 at 02:25 PM
This was the only thing that worked! Assigning a drive letter. Thanks!
Checkpoint_101- Jul 17, 2017 at 07:10 AM
Assigned a drive letter and appears to be working now thank you very much for the assistance, greatly appreciated!
Helpful
+4
plus moins
Hello

Try this

After plugging in the device, go to device manager (In run type "devmgmt.msc") In Device manager go to "Universal serial bus controllers" It should list the storage devices that you have connected to your PC. Right click and then click "Uninstall. Remove the USB drive and restart your system.
Try connecting the device again. I think this should solve the problem.
jim- Jul 11, 2016 at 01:21 AM
I tried everything and this was the only one that worked.
Rana- Jul 23, 2016 at 11:32 AM
Thanks Bro.
FelixN- Sep 7, 2016 at 06:09 AM
Thanks so much! It worked!
cibi- Oct 4, 2016 at 06:33 AM
that works fine!!!.. thanks a lot!! i tried a lot hell ways!!! but this method worked for me too!!!
Jaypal- Oct 6, 2016 at 04:05 AM
My USB Still not shown in UBS Serial Bus Controllers
Helpful
+2
plus moins
I followed two dozen suggestions, none worked. I found my device (a "remanufactured" 2TB drive) in devioce manager, like most people do, but it wouldn't show-up, and all but "delete volume" appeared. Since I never used it, I deleted the 1.85TB section (other system files existed in two other areas of the drive)...it immediately went into format, and bam, there it was.
Helpful
+2
plus moins
I take no credit for this but it works and thought I would share it with those having the same problem.

Zohaib R Nov 19, 2012 03:35PM
Hi AkemiHomura,

I checked your message and the error screen shots. Thank you for the detailed description of the problem. I see that you receive this error message in Disk Management console:

"The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer."

Try using the below mentioned steps and see if the issue is fixed:

1. Click Start and type Diskpart in the search box.
2. Right-click diskpart in the search results > click Run as administrator.
3. Once diskpart loads type list volume, press enter.
4. You should notice that you will see your 2 TB Western Digital Hard Drive, it should not show a drive letter assigned to it.
5. Type select volume 1 (replace 1 with the volume number assigned to the Hard Drive in question).
6. Type assign letter Z (replace Z with the letter that you want to assign to it).
abrogard 1Posts Monday November 2, 2015Registration date November 2, 2015 Last seen - Nov 2, 2015 at 10:37 PM
I just got a Seagate 4T and have the same problem. Two of my computers cannot see it.
Though both report installed okay and ready for use.

I think it is a Seagate problem. that's why they are selling them cheap.
nomi- Nov 20, 2015 at 03:48 PM
great great method
Anu- Jul 6, 2016 at 10:35 PM
Thanks a Ton fixed my problem :)
sun- Oct 27, 2016 at 03:22 PM
awesome bro!
formermacuser- Dec 29, 2016 at 10:55 AM
Thanks for these instructions. This allowed me to assign a drive number to an old mac HDD that I had pulled from a broken 2008 macbook pro. My windows system was refusing to display the drive when I connected it via USB, but the device manager was still detecting it. Sure enough, the DiskPart utility was exactly what I needed.

It worked, and I pulled some very important files off the HDD without any problem. Thanks again.

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?