TOSHIBA Satellite factory restore...black screen with cursor

Solved/Closed
asuedan Posts 2 Registration date Friday November 22, 2013 Status Member Last seen December 2, 2013 - Nov 22, 2013 at 01:19 PM
asuedan Posts 2 Registration date Friday November 22, 2013 Status Member Last seen December 2, 2013 - Dec 2, 2013 at 08:53 PM
I have a Toshiba Satellite C650D

I keep getting this error PXE .... No bootable device.

I am trying to set it back to factory setting. It loads the windows logo and makes me believe that its going to start with the cursor showing up and "thinking" but at the end I don't get a WARNING sign. All that shows up is a black screen with a mouse cursor that can move but nothing to click.

I tried loading off a WINDOWS 7 Ultimate but I end up with the same result, black screen with a mouse cursor.

Battery has been unplugged, ram unplugged, HDD unplugged and power button pressed for more than 10 sec without being plugged to power.

Any recommendations? (before I recycle this NB)
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Nov 22, 2013 at 05:56 PM
I suggest you replace the hard drive. Your "no bootable device" is indicative of a hard drive failure.

Good Luck
asuedan Posts 2 Registration date Friday November 22, 2013 Status Member Last seen December 2, 2013
Dec 2, 2013 at 08:53 PM
Thank you kindly xpcman for your assistance.

The issue has been solved.

I took the hdd out and connected it to another pc.
Tested it and it passed with flying colors.
I formatted the disk leaving the built-in recovery partition in place. (ran all the rotten utility checks virus, defrag, boot check, scan disk)
I then returned everything back into its place (hdd and ram) and restarted the laptop and ran the built-in system recovery (pressing 0 + power button). This time everything loaded without any issues. After all was installed and system updated, it dawned upon me that it might have been a virus.

Good luck to the next person.