Java Runtime Environment

Closed
jbover Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday December 3, 2013 Status Member Last seen December 3, 2013 - Dec 3, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Dec 3, 2013 at 05:33 PM
Good Morning All:

I am trying to install Java Runtime Environment as it is a requirement for me to use the Access portion of Open Office. I Have tried numerous time, but all I get is the Java Control.

Please advise.
Related:

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,172
Dec 3, 2013 at 05:33 PM
Good evening,

Have you got JRE from a reliable source like: https://ccm.net/downloads/programming/4617-java-for-windows/

It's not necessary to launch Java to gain access to open office once it is there. As a matter of fact, Java control launch should be deactivated.

OpenOffice should detect this installation and let you choose it for use in OpenOffice via the Tools-> OpenOffice.org -> Java. If you have a JRE installed that is not detected, you should be able to add it through this same menu.

You can install a JRE or configure OpenOffice to use Java at any time to get missing functionality to work.

From the OpenOffice main menu use: Tools -> OpenOffice.org -> Java, and uncheck "Use a Java runtime environment". However, Open Office recommends that you have a Java Runtime Environment on your system to take full advantage of OpenOffice's features without any issues.