"file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" [Solved]

Ask a question Jynxus 7Posts Tuesday December 10, 2013Registration date April 18, 2014 Last seen - Latest answer on Sep 16, 2016 02:12AM
I have a Terabyte external hard drive that is filled to capacity with music, movies, pictures, accounts etc . All of a sudden it is no longer accessible on my laptop, or my television (through my blu ray player). All of the files are available when I connect it to my tablet (Acer 500). I attached the tablet to the computer, thinking I could load the files to the computer, but only the first three files show up and the computer only has 850 G of space. My computer skills are limited as are my funds! Can anyone help?
See more 
Helpful
+4
moins plus
Hello,

Try this 1

Click on Start --> Run --> Type cmd and press Enter.

"Command Prompt" will be opened.

Since you are having problem with G & H drivers, enter the below command

chkdsk /f g: --> Press Enter.

chkdsk /f h: --> Press Enter.

Good Luck

Regards!
Bullie- Apr 1, 2016 10:27AM
Fantastic remedy which works.
Sleepless nights now athingofthe past
Manoj- Apr 8, 2016 07:12AM
Thank you sooo much :) it worked.
Aneesh- May 14, 2016 01:43PM
Much thanks
ch- Jul 20, 2016 11:15AM
thank you sooooo much it worked
pappireddy 5Posts Friday September 16, 2016Registration date September 16, 2016 Last seen - Sep 16, 2016 02:03AM
Hello, sir plz help me
my hard disk showing the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable in xp
i have two intel hard disk 1-500gb 2-220g

I ran the chkdsk command and it finished.
But now the file that was corrupted has gone
Add comment
Helpful
+4
moins plus
Hi: I tried that and I get the message: "Access denied as you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode." I am running Windows 8. The command prompt comes up: C:\Users\Brenda> but, I am the administrator! What to do?
Jynxus 7Posts Tuesday December 10, 2013Registration date April 18, 2014 Last seen - Dec 10, 2013 02:02PM
I went to the "help" page to get into the command prompt, followed your instructions and got back my entertainment! Thank you soooooooo much!
Jynxus 7Posts Tuesday December 10, 2013Registration date April 18, 2014 Last seen - Dec 16, 2013 04:09PM
Well, turns out that I only got about half of my files back, some still say that the file can't be run. I tried to run the chkdsk command again, but now I get the message that "the drive, the path or the file name is not valid." Any idea why I get that message? I really am somewhat computer illiterate.
floryde 4Posts Monday April 21, 2014Registration date April 22, 2014 Last seen - Apr 21, 2014 04:39PM
Hello my hardrive is doing the same, however it is saying it is RAW....can anybody help me...i am currently downloading a partition recovery toolkit as we speak. I really dont want to lose any work on here!
Jynxus- May 5, 2014 12:47PM
Turns out it was not the fault of the hard drive. I bought a new Blu Ray player and now I can access all of my videos. Unfortunately, I had started to delete a lot of the ones that weren't working. So, definitely check that before anything else. My clue happened when I attached the hard drive to a smart tv and all the files could be loaded. Thanks for all the help, though, I did learn a few things.
prava- Feb 18, 2016 05:45AM
thanks you very much your idea worked.
Add comment
Helpful
+3
moins plus
Still having a problem with this hard drive. The message now tells me that chkdsk can't continue in audio only. Any other ideas out there?
pappireddy 5Posts Friday September 16, 2016Registration date September 16, 2016 Last seen - Sep 16, 2016 02:12AM
Hello, sir plz help me
my hard disk showing the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable in
Windows XP
i have two intel hard disk 1-500gb 2-220g

I ran the chkdsk command and it finished.
But now the file that was corrupted has gone
Still having a problem with this hard drive.
Add comment
Helpful
+0
moins plus
Thank you so much, I was at my wits end when I came across your advice, I had lost all the data on my 2T portable drive which I had put all my favorite shows on so the whole drive was full. Your technique worked like a charm and it opened my USB up in seconds after entering the prompts you gave. I had to put f f: I was having problems with that, so I was thrilled to find them all there and unharmed.
raju- May 27, 2015 09:51AM
time god you saved my life
thanks a lot
Add comment
Helpful
+0
moins plus
I am running Windows 8. The command prompt comes up: C:\Users\Brenda> but, I am the administrator! What to do?
miamivice- Oct 17, 2015 10:38PM
right click in cmd , is the way administrator mode
Add comment
Helpful
+0
moins plus
Hi... I have a WD elements of which I tried to open it when the system prompted me with the following words:

"H: is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

I had tried the suggestion of using "chkdsk /f h: --? enter"

The reply as below:

"The type of the file system is NTSF.
Unable to determine volume version and state. CHKDSK aborted."

What is wrong? I hope I can retrieve all the files inside the external HDD as I have plenty of important files and images inside. Thinking of losing all of them makes me sad. :(

Hope someone can shed some light on this matter.
Nanduni 1Posts Saturday April 30, 2016Registration date April 30, 2016 Last seen - Apr 30, 2016 09:33AM
Thank you very much. You saved my life.
Add comment

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!