Help with my dell laptop

Solved/Closed
jeanille Posts 2 Registration date Friday January 24, 2014 Status Member Last seen January 30, 2014 - Jan 24, 2014 at 02:07 AM
jeanille Posts 2 Registration date Friday January 24, 2014 Status Member Last seen January 30, 2014 - Jan 30, 2014 at 05:58 PM
Hello, I have a major issue and hope that I do not have to replace the hard drive, when the computer is less then a year old.
So, last night, I was on face book, all of sudden the laptop froze, and I could not do anything, meaning, the task manager wouldn't come up, esc, wouldn't work, nothing worked on the keypad which then I just took the battery out, because the power button wouldn't even shut windows down so I could restart. After leaving the battery out for a few minutes and then powering it back on, I get the message that there are some issues and that my pc is trying to fix the problem, which then it just goes to a blank screen and does nothing, but I can then power off by the button. I have a Dell windows 8, inspiron 3521, also touch screen. The option to restart or menu when you scroll to the right with the mouse, is no longer available either.
This is what I have done, I did do the system test, I get the code 2000-0142, meaning hard drive not detected. I took the hard drive out, put it back in securely, and still have not got anywhere. I can't set back to manufacture settings, because there is no option to do so in the f2 or f12. I am very
frustrated.
 My husband has tried to be a computer tech, ( which he should of left things alone lol), and says he has changed things in the settings some where in the options of f2 and f12 but does not remember what. 

When I power the computer on, it gives me the Dell logo, then goes to a black screen, with some wordings, and states, No boot device found, press any key, I do that, and it does the same thing, a blue screen appears sometimes, like it did last night and says that I have issues and tries fixing it, or just goes to the dell logo and back to the black screen.
Is there anything else I can do, or do I need to replace the hard drive by contacting Dell. Please help asap!!!!!
The service number is 5HFDW1
Thank you,
Jeanille.
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jan 29, 2014 at 08:19 PM
Everything points to a failed hard drive. You can probably buy a new drive from Dell that is preloaded with Windows. This is your best option if you do not have a copy of the Windows DVD.

Good Luck
jeanille Posts 2 Registration date Friday January 24, 2014 Status Member Last seen January 30, 2014
Jan 30, 2014 at 05:58 PM
Hello,

Yes, I ordered a new hard drive, which was under warranty still. I just received the new one yesterday, and waiting for my sister to install it for me, since she a tech herself.

Thank you very much for replying.