Installing Windows XP from a USB key [Closed]

Ask a question dswasley 3Posts Wednesday January 29, 2014Registration date January 29, 2014 Last seen - Last answered on Feb 2, 2014 at 08:27 PM by dswasley
Hello,

I'm attempting to install Windows XP Tablet 2005 on a Fujitsu Stylistic ST5030 in which the HD was wiped. It won't see my usb CD/DVD drive when plugged in so installing from the CD is out. So I'm resorting to using a 8Gb usb key to install Windows XP. I've followed the tutorial that's captioned above and everything works great up to the point where the GRUB4DOS screen appears and all I see is GRUB> command line.
What command[s] are used to start the installation of Windows XP? The tutorial doesn't specify these, it just references to 1st and 2nd lines in the GRUB menu[???] If there are supposed to be line numbers to select, they aren't appearing....

Any help would be appreciated...

Thank you,

See more 
Helpful
+0
plus moins
Well, did you tell the BOOT option to boot from USB, cuz you shouldn't be shelled into a command line, it should boot up and say I see an installation disk, where do you want to put me. Is the USB a Bootable ISO?
Helpful
+0
plus moins
Yes, it is booting from the USB as instructed from within the BIOS....

I'm ASSUMING that the image on the USB is an .iso image. I'm getting the files from a HP Win XP 2005 Tablet PC disk and using WinSetupFromUSB to convert the files and put them on the USB as a fixed disk....
Helpful
+0
plus moins
I suspected a problem with the file installation and formatted the USB and re-did the file conversion with WinSetupFromUSB and got much further before running into another problem..
Once the GRUB menu items appear and process in their order, the GRUB screen exits and I'm in a black DOS screen with:

'Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 0 part 1' highlighted with other suggested hd #'s and part #'s to fix HAL.DLL/NTOSKRNL.EXE not found errors...

Pressing Enter gives me an error message that states:

'Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.
Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.'

I'm ASSUMING again that I may not have the files in the right .iso configuration is the only thing that I can come up with.....

Any ideas??

Thanks,
ac3mark 6639Posts Monday June 3, 2013Registration date ModeratorStatus March 13, 2017 Last seen - Jan 29, 2014 at 06:51 PM
I agree. Although, the setup should except bare mins, unless for some reason the bios doesn't see a piece of hardware, and therefore the machine doesn't meet minimum.

Do you have a valid boot partition provisioned?
dswasley 3Posts Wednesday January 29, 2014Registration date January 29, 2014 Last seen - Jan 29, 2014 at 08:51 PM
As far as I can tell through Windows Disk Management on another computer running Vista. It's showing as a primary partition on a fixed disk.....
Helpful
+0
plus moins
Just saw this article in Microsoft's KB online, 'You cannot start a computer from a USB flash drive that is formatted to use the FAT32 file system' here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954457

I think I found my problem's fix.......I hope...
ac3mark 6639Posts Monday June 3, 2013Registration date ModeratorStatus March 13, 2017 Last seen - Jan 30, 2014 at 10:25 AM
NTFS is correct, and was going to be my next....
Helpful
+0
plus moins
Converted the USB to NTFS while formatting and re-did WinSetupFromUSB again and still get that last disk error message.....this is extremely frustrating....
ac3mark 6639Posts Monday June 3, 2013Registration date ModeratorStatus March 13, 2017 Last seen - Jan 31, 2014 at 07:08 PM
NO, the Hard Disk!
you replaced the disk, You are trying to replace the OS on the hard disk it has to be provisioned!
Helpful
+0
plus moins
I understand that, but until I can Win XP Tablet 2005 to load on the HD in the Tablet PC in the first place it I can't do anything with it anyway. I just have a Tablet PC for a boat anchor because the drive is wiped....All my problems in this post are with the USB key, nothing else....That's what this post is all about isn't it or did I not clarify what the problem is originally?
Helpful
+0
plus moins
This may be helpful:

http://ccm.net/faq/3065-installing-windows-xp-from-a-usb-key
Helpful
+0
plus moins
Having problems with the USB drive in that exact Kioskea article....hence this series of posts.....everything works fine up to the point once the DOS screen appears after the GRUB screen and pressing Enter on the one highlighted selection and then I get an error message that's stated in the 4th post.....

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?