My laptop internet is quick but PS3 & xbox one internet is slow?

Closed
ilovearty Posts 2 Registration date Saturday February 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 1, 2014 - Feb 1, 2014 at 07:27 AM
 Blocked Profile - Sep 7, 2014 at 11:24 AM
Hello,

Two days ago I purchased a new router (Dualband Wireless N750 Modem Router, Model: DSL-2870B) the router works great and gives a strong wireless signal to my laptop and quick internet speed. Both my PS3 and xbox one which are in my room next to my laptop about 15 feet away from router they receives a 97-100% but the internet on them both becomes extremely slow, like it takes a good minute to sign in and 5-10 minutes to find a call of duty online match.

When I had my previous modem (iiNet BoB wireless modem) everything worked fine on the PS3 and xbox one I almost instantly find a match and no lag,

I really don't thinks its the consoles fault, its router it self! the problem may be with its firewall, DNS, QoS, (router has no static IP), DHCP, I tried DMZ but no help.

Router Manual: ftp://files.dlink.com.au/products/DSL-2870B/REV_A/Manuals/DSL-2870B_A1_Manual_v2.00.pdf

I'm happy to post more current router settings if helps

Related:

5 responses

Blocked Profile
Feb 1, 2014 at 07:44 AM
hi ilovearty.

Is uPnP enabled on your router? This allows devices to make changes to the router such as open ports it needs to go out on etc.

the xbox and PS3 will need to go out and come on on specific ports.

i think you'll find that you'll need to do some port forwarding on your router to enable your devices to work better as I imagine you possible have strict/moderate NAT.

here are the ports needed for xbox live to work correctly:

http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/networking/network-ports-used-xbox-live

Here are the ports needed for the PS3:

https://support.us.playstation.com/s/login/?language=en_US&startURL=%2Fapp%2Fanswers%2Fdetail%2Fa_id%2F241

for information on how to port forward there are generally in the firewall settings of the router. you will need to log in to your router. See your router guide.

ilovearty Posts 2 Registration date Saturday February 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 1, 2014
Feb 1, 2014 at 09:04 PM
UpnP is enabled and so is UpnP AV. THe interesting thing is that Port Forwarding is unavailable its like it dissapeared only port triggering is available. Maybe I got something dissabled?
Blocked Profile
Feb 2, 2014 at 06:41 PM
Port forwarding/triggered are practically the same thing. You will need to setup port triggering so that they point to your consoles.
Blocked Profile
Feb 1, 2014 at 11:25 AM
Pardon the interuption,

Something else to look at is the band of wireless. Go to G if you are connecting on N.

Sorry to interupt.
Blocked Profile
Feb 1, 2014 at 12:10 PM
Not sure internal network speed will affect internet speed much.
Blocked Profile
Feb 1, 2014 at 01:11 PM
Considering, the Ps3 doesnt even support N connection, it would matter, sir.

Have fun!

[The band is actually the freq in which the carrier is operating at. In such as case, the G band OR IEEE NETWORKING STANDARD 802.11g https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11 G uses the 2.4 GHz. N uses both 2.4 and 5GHz.]

If you wish, let me know; I can break down the relationship of the carrier to the data, and how they are combined, dependant upon the media of transmission.
Blocked Profile
Feb 1, 2014 at 03:10 PM
After reading the link for the router, it has administration for N client only, what is that set to, under advanced wireless?

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
briant1207 Posts 34 Registration date Saturday September 6, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 24, 2020
Sep 6, 2014 at 09:38 PM
I have a thomson router and my upnp is enable but my ps3 on COD GHOST IT STILL STRICT NAT HEL ME PLEASE
Blocked Profile
Sep 7, 2014 at 11:24 AM
Hello Briant1207,

please create a new thread as this one is old and a new one would be specific to you.

thank you.