Wifi connected but can't open any websites [Solved/Closed]

Ask a question notit novice 4Posts Monday February 10, 2014Registration date February 16, 2014 Last seen - Last answered on Sep 15, 2017 at 02:36 PM by Komil punjani
Since Friday morning my HP laptop (has windows 7 home premium) can't open any websites. It shows the internet connected on the network (on IPV4). I have rebooted, restarted modem. released and renewed IPconfig, disabled bonjour, to no avail. Ran multiple diagnostics, one of them said "One or more network protocols are missing."

The other part of the problem is when connected through ethernet directly to modem, laptop tells it is unidentified network, the diagnostic identified error as " local area connection does not have a valid IP configuartion."

Please help.
Helpful
+1
plus moins
Can you run command prompt as administrator (click start and search for cmd)

type sfc /scannow and report on the results.

can you also go to control panel > internet options > delete your temp files and then go to the advanced tab and hit reset and restore then apply.

what is the make/model of your PC.

Was this answer helpful?  
Helpful
+1
plus moins
I am suspecting it has something to do with the windows firewall. It is telling me to update firewall settings and when I click the "use recommended settings" tab it is giving a message - windows firewall can't change some of your settings Error code - 0x80070424, may be I am wrong.

Also I can't connect to internet even with Ethernet connection. with this it does not even show internet availability
Was this answer helpful?  
Helpful
+1
plus moins
Kieferschild,

I am using McAfee internet security and after full file scan it did not show any virus. I switched its firewall off. Also I fixed the windows firewall problem but still no internet.

I am running out of ideas, pl. help.
Was this answer helpful?  
Helpful
+1
plus moins
If I may, Windows 7 needs to have a network location. It doesn't always prompt that. Set it to home, work or public.

Try that. Sorry it is too simple to not check!
Was this answer helpful?  
Helpful
+1
plus moins
Can you try a ping to the internet.

go to start > run > type cmd and press OK.

type ping www.google.com

do you get a reply?
Was this answer helpful?  
Helpful
+1
plus moins
C:\Users\Manraj>ping www.google.com

Pinging www.google.com [173.194.33.113] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 173.194.33.113: bytes=32 time=111ms TTL=57
Reply from 173.194.33.113: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=58
Reply from 173.194.33.113: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=57
Reply from 173.194.33.113: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 173.194.33.113:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 32ms, Maximum = 111ms, Average = 55ms
Was this answer helpful?  
Helpful
+1
plus moins
can you go to the following directory:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

there is a file called hosts

open it with notepad

it should look like this:

make sure there are no more entries with random numbers and websites.

Can you do another ping to google and when you get the reply IP Address so for example in your last reply (173.194.33.113) - copy this IP and go to internet explorer and go to http://173.194.33.113

see if the webpage is resolved when you go to its IP address.
Was this answer helpful?  
Helpful
+1
plus moins
Sounds like you've managed to screw up some windows configuration. I recommend taking a backup of your data and restoring your laptop back to factory settings.
Was this answer helpful?  
Helpful
+1
plus moins
I did the restore to a point 8 months back. No effect on the browsing. still as it was. I think something linked to DNS that did not get impacted by restore, puzzled to say the least.
Was this answer helpful?  
ac3mark 8228Posts Monday June 3, 2013Registration date ModeratorStatus November 22, 2017 Last seen - Mar 1, 2014 at 10:11 PM
Have you tried 4.2.2.2 for dns yet?
Victoria

Primary Server Name: nsc1.cv.gv.shawcable.net
Primary Server IP: 64.59.160.13
Secondary Server Name: nsc2.cv.gv.shawcable.net
Secondary Server IP: 64.59.160.15

Vancouver

Primary Server Name: nsc1.wh.vc.shawcable.net
Primary Server IP: 64.59.144.16
Secondary Server Name: nsc2.wh.vc.shawcable.net
Secondary Server IP: 64.59.144.17

OR

Primary Server Name: nsc3.wh.vc.shawcable.net
Primary Server IP: 64.59.144.18
Secondary Server Name: nsc4.wh.vc.shawcable.net
Secondary Server IP: 64.59.144.19

(Either set of DNS servers will work for any Vancouver customers.)

Okanagan

Primary Server Name: nsc1.ht.ok.shawcable.net
Primary Server IP: 64.59.168.13
Secondary Server Name: nsc2.ht.ok.shawcable.net
Secondary Server IP: 64.59.168.15

Calgary

Primary Server Name: nsc1.so.cg.shawcable.net
Primary Server IP: 64.59.135.133
Secondary Server Name: nsc2.so.cg.shawcable.net
Secondary Server IP: 64.59.135.135

Edmonton

Primary Server Name: nsc1.ar.ed.shawcable.net
Primary Server IP: 64.59.184.13
Secondary Server Name: nsc2.we.ed.shawcable.net
Secondary Server IP: 64.59.190.245

Saskatoon/Winnipeg/Ontario

Primary Server Name: nsc1.nr.wp.shawcable.net
Primary Server IP: 64.59.176.13
Secondary Server Name: nsc2.nr.wp.shawcable.net
Secondary Server IP: 64.59.176.15

Have you involved your isp?
Helpful
+1
plus moins
I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

Step 1: Disable the IP Helper service
a. Hold the Windows key and type R, enter "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
b. Scroll down to the IP Helper service, right click on it and select Properties
c. In the dropdown box that says "Automatic" or "Manual", set it to Disabled and then click on "Apply"
d. Then click on "Stop" to stop the service from running in the current session
e. Click OK to exit the dialog

Step 2: Disable IPv6
Try uninstalling IPv6 on all interfaces, removing any IPv6 virtual adapters, and resetting the TCP/IP stack. To remove IPv6, go into the properties for each network adapter and either uncheck the box next to the protocol "Internet Protocol version 6 (TCP/IPv6), that will disable it, or select it and click uninstall, which will remove it off the computer. Then go into device manager and remove any 4to6 adapters, WUN miniport adapters, or tunnel adapters.
NOTE: You should do this for each network connection.

Step 3: Disable the DHCP Broadcast Flag
Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Back up the registry
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-the-registry

Windows 7 cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers
To resolve this issue, disable the DHCP BROADCAST flag. To do this, follow these steps:
a. Click Start, type "regedit" in the Start Search box and then click "regedit" in the Programs list.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
b. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}"
c. In this registry path, click the (GUID) subkey that corresponds to the network adapter that is connected to the network.
d. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.
e In the New Value #1 box, type "DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle" and then press ENTER.
f. Right-click "DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle" and then click Modify.
g. In the Value data box, type 1 and then click OK.
h. Close Registry Editor.
By setting this registry key to 1, Windows 7 will first try to obtain an IP address by using the BROADCAST flag in DHCP Discover packets. If that fails, it will try to obtain an IP address without using the BROADCAST flag in DHCP Discover packets.
Was this answer helpful?  
Helpful
+1
plus moins
Finally after the factory reset got the internet back. Thanks all of you guys to put your minds to resolve this.

I still have no clue about what the problem was.

thanks again
Was this answer helpful?  
kieferschild 2356Posts Sunday October 5, 2008Registration date ModeratorStatus November 13, 2017 Last seen - Mar 7, 2014 at 09:47 PM
Hurray!

A resolution, thats what we like to see. Glad you got it sorted :)
notit novice- Mar 8, 2014 at 07:19 PM
me too. Thanks again all of you
Helpful
+0
plus moins
I suggest you contact you ISP. They should be able to run a diagnostic check on the modem.

Good Luck
Helpful
+0
plus moins
kieferschild,

the sfc /scannow gives this message "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations."

CCX Diagnostic utility in windows 7 that runs the network diagnostic tests ran following tests and all were passed
1. Driver installation test
2. Card insertion test
3. Card enable test
4. Association test
5. Authentication test
6. network test

Adapter is Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n wifi adapter

laptop is windows 7 HP G62 notebook pc AMD Phenom (tm) II N850 Triple core processor 2.20 GHz 4 GB 64 bit operating system.

I also ran cmd (admin) Netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt and reboot to no effect
Komil punjani- Sep 15, 2017 at 02:36 PM
Thanks you a lot god bless you
Helpful
+0
plus moins
Can you go to start > type "services" and open that up.

locate Windows Firewall and ensure that its startup is set to automatic and that it is started then try using recommended settings.

what antivirus software do you use?
Helpful
+0
plus moins
did not find windows firewall listed in the services, trying to find still.

guys, appreciate you taking time to suggest solutions.
Helpful
+0
plus moins
Can you try the following:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_firewall_diagnostic

Helpful
+0
plus moins
ac3mark,

thanks for the suggestion, but it is set to home always. You are right though, I feel it is possibly something simple.

kieferschild,

The windows firewall seems to be working fine now. It is not prohibiting any websites. I am away from my laptop currently but I will check the link later. thanks.
Helpful
+0
plus moins
Kieferschild,

appreciate your advice.

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc gives exactly the same results as you showed. google ping resulted in 173.194.33.115, I tried this but webpage is still not resolved.
Helpful
+0
plus moins
okay so you cannot get to http://173.194.33.155 ?

Are you using internet explorer?

Do you have another computer you can download mozilla firefox or google chrome from?

Try another web browser and see if you can get on.

I would also like you go to go Start > Control Panel > Internet Options

go to the far right "advanced" tab and click reset and restore advanced settings then apply.
Helpful
+0
plus moins
Kieferschild,

thanks. did all that. I already have mozilla firefox which was not letting me do anything also.

Today when I used http://173.194.33.115 for google in Mozilla that actually took me to google and allowed me the search but the thread I clicked for Microsoft did not go anywhere.

This is first time I saw any website in a week. small progress.

I immediately tried pinging Microsoft.com and use the result in Mozilla but that did not work.

by the way, earlier I also uninstalled and installed the wifi driver, no difference
1 2 Next

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?