Malware in unix exec files in system on Macbook Pro 10.9.1?

Closed
ksm23 Posts 1 Registration date Thursday February 13, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 13, 2014 - Feb 13, 2014 at 06:02 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Feb 13, 2014 at 02:48 PM
Hi,

Just a quick question, is it essential to have unix exec files on my Mac? I have Microsoft office installed but it was a dmg file.

I have just updated to 10.9.1 to get rid of any malware i believe may be installed from watching movies on DIVX, uTorrent and from an older version of Adobe and Java.

I can't understand why my mac suddenly needs to have these exec files in the system. At the end of the day, Apple have their own file formats so why would I need any exec at all??

I have also noticed some VERY unusual .plist and .bundle and some .jar files in different places across the hard drive..

Oh and the application that was suggested (get info) is the Terminal app which says to me that it is/has configured the computer?

So, is it essential to have these files on the Mac in the hard drive or can they go??

Cheers
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Feb 13, 2014 at 02:48 PM
Since OS X is based on Unix:

In NEXTSTEP, OPENSTEP, their lineal descendants OS X, iOS, and in GNUstep, a bundle is a directory that allows related resources such as an application's executable and its graphics to be grouped together, appearing as a single file to the user.

Examples include applications, frameworks, and plugins. They are accessed with the NSBundle class in Cocoa, NEXTSTEP and GNUstep's Foundation frameworks, and with CFBundle in Core Foundation.

A bundle usually contains one file representing executable code, and files that represent resources such as nibs, templates, images, sounds, and other media. On some other systems, such as Microsoft Windows, these resources are usually included directly in the executable file itself at compile time.