Request time out

Solved/Closed
Afari - Mar 3, 2009 at 06:05 AM
 vinoth - Feb 25, 2010 at 12:39 AM
Hello,

pls I want to know the difference between the ping error:

Request time and Destination unreachable?
Related:

2 responses

mikethedike Posts 158 Registration date Saturday August 16, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 22, 2012 41
Mar 3, 2009 at 07:03 AM
ok here what u want hope it hel[ps u understand it better

Destination host unreachable: The host that you are trying to ping is down or is not operating on the network.

whereas

Request timed out: The ping command timed out because there was no reply from the host. Ping your local address 127.0.0.1. This will tell you that TCP is functioning. It does not tell you that your network card is functioning. Ping your default gateway or next hop Router. This will show that the router is up. Ping beyond the next hop Router. If the ping fails, the request timed out can mean that the destination host is down or that there is no route back to you. Destination Net Unreachable will show the IP address of the Router that tried to route the packet but did not have a valid route.

As you can see, there is a big difference between "destination host unreachable" and "request timed out." This is particularly noticeable in Windows Vista, where ping's error messages have been tuned to be more specifically accurate. As such, a bad response in Vista has a tendency to get a different answer than the usual Windows XP "request timed out."

any further queries n comments
pls reply

Melisio Mascarenhas
India-mumbai
mikethedike
thanks I think your explanation was very clear and excellent. I am ok with it now. thanks
mamon22 > Afari
Nov 10, 2009 at 10:51 PM
when I scan our all pc then 3-4 hour work the network clear .after these time returne I see problem our network .some time ping reply some time request time out . we use kaspersky antivirous.what kind of anti virous we can use to remove virous permanantly .when I scan all pc then find kdo.exe virous in this situstion our all pc are slow .
hi,

Here wen I am trying to ping my internet GW getting replay but wen pinging URL getting destination host unreachable but internet working.

In some cases getting request time out wen I am pinging internet GW but at the same time getting destination host unreachable wen pining URL.

pls help me to get clear.

regards,

R.vinoth.
epsiman Posts 306 Registration date Tuesday November 18, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 2, 2010 162
Mar 3, 2009 at 06:54 AM
I don't think there's a difference as request time out, I think the server took too long to respond and destination unreachable, I think the server is down. In both case the server is out.