Toshiba sat pro l300 boot disk

Solved/Closed
ARK238 - Feb 25, 2014 at 04:35 AM
 ark238 - Feb 26, 2014 at 05:58 PM
Hello,
right guys i will try and keep this as short as i can i recently got a toshiba satalite pro 300 of a well known auction please bear in mind i know nothing about computers so dont laugh!anyway when i power it up all i get is messages saying i need a boot disc so got in touch with seller didnt have one didnt want to know. so im stuck with a laptop i cannot use. where can i get a boot disc from? or do i need a disc? i did a web search and came across this site also tried toshiba web pages but could not get any sense of where to go from them cos they say they have/got one? anymore did a bit of reading and tried the power button and 0 key but no luck still the same result lots of messages all ending with need a boot disc. any info greatly appreciated but as i said will have to be simple instructions that an idiot can follow!
cheers

Related:

3 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,828
Feb 25, 2014 at 04:15 PM
The message probably means that the hard disk has failed and needs to be replaced. What it the EXACT message on the screen?

After replacing the hard drive you will need to buy a new copy of Windows so you can install it on the computer. Sometimes the manufacturer will sell you a pre-formatted hard disk with Windows installed. Or they might offer to sell you a cheaper Windows recovery DVD.

If the laptop was advertized as a fully working unit Ebay should return your money.

Good Luck
ok messages shown where all about the programs? etc on the computer realtek and too much too list but they all ended requiring a boot disc.later on i did get into the boot manager just using the f12 key again but not going thru powering up the computer holding down f12 the boot manager list asked for cd/dvd?or hdd or lan.
i dont have a reboot or recovery disc so i am at present stuck at this point.any idea if any what i can try without obtaining a boot disc? any help greatly appreciated
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,828
Feb 25, 2014 at 06:27 PM
There is really no such thing as a boot disk for Windows. That's an old DOS term. I assume you have Windows XP installed on the Toshiba.

Can you get a Linux bootable CD (Ubuntu is a good FREE release) from a friend or download and burn it to a CD on another computer?

Then you can use the F12 key to boot from the CD/DVD drive into Linux. After that you can use the Linux tools to confirm that the hard drive is OK. You want to use the option to boot from the CD NOT install Linux.

My best guess is either a failed hard drive or a corrupted copy of Windows. Both require a Windows CD to fix.
ok computer up and running fine guy next door took it and bought it back next day vista taken off windows 7 on also installed some security etc no components changed !not a clue what was wrong with it but he has done complete job on it looks like new
what can i say? anyway thanks for all suggestions but mainly your interest once again many thanks