Downloading windows 8 over Windows XP

Solved/Closed
latebor Posts 3 Registration date Sunday March 16, 2014 Status Member Last seen March 17, 2014 - Mar 16, 2014 at 04:39 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Mar 17, 2014 at 05:27 PM
I have a desktop with plenty of available space and power for my purposes. I do not game, and only access social media rarely. Question: If I download Windows 8, will I have access to files created in QUICKEN, WORD and EXCEL under XP? In other words, can I simply download windows 8 and go from there with no further file of system manipulations?
Related:

3 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Mar 16, 2014 at 05:43 PM
Hello,

I once asked myself the same question and I much preferred staying with XP. Windows 8 got a lot of negative comments so Microsoft came up with Windows 8.1 but to no avail. People like more Windows 7 to the point where HP decided to equip their newly made computers with Windows 7. In despair, Microsoft is offering Windows 7 user a free upgrade to Windows 8.

To answer your question if you choose to upgrade from XP to either Windows 7 or 8, all of your data will be erased and you will need to reinstall all of the software you had.

You will need to find out if your versions of Quicken and Office are compatible with Windows 8 as I am pretty sure they are with Win 7.

My best advice, stick with XP, wait and see how Win 8 and Win 8.1 evolve in about 6 months to a year. No rush!

Regards

Ambucias
Moderator, Virus/Security Contributor
latebor Posts 3 Registration date Sunday March 16, 2014 Status Member Last seen March 17, 2014
Mar 16, 2014 at 11:09 PM
Thank you. I was pleased to see your reply given that my lack of sophistication had me terrified about the prospect of updating to 8 or 8.1. In fact I was pig happy using DOS. And, who knows? In six months or so I could be dead. The median survival expectation of those with my ailment is 26 months so this is a possible non-issue depending on when the clock started ticking.

Again, thank you
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Mar 17, 2014 at 05:51 AM
It was my pleasure to help you.

I wish you courage and hope. Please write in 27 months.
latebor Posts 3 Registration date Sunday March 16, 2014 Status Member Last seen March 17, 2014
Mar 17, 2014 at 01:53 PM
Thank you. You are very kind. As for the other, I am not courageous. A young man, let's say, going into combat needs courage because he is aware of the possible alternatives. On the other hand, at my age and my condition only a bit of resolution is required for there are no real alternatives. A short while ago, a friend sent me a book written by a man who is(?) a neurosurgeon at Harvard. His book recounted his experience of being clinically dead during the course of an operation. He entered heaven and was greeted by a number of beautiful young women in peasant dress dancing to the most enchanting music (Celtic?) he had ever heard. He didn't report on their virginity, but otherwise it seems lifted whole cloth from Islam. My hope, then, is that he was undergoing a Timothy Leary trip because I can't think of a more boring way to spend eternity. I'd have instead a decent library of both books and cd's, a well populated bass pond, and a stock of cigars and pipe tobacco. And, of course, heavenly quiet.
Mar 17, 2014 at 05:27 PM
I suggest you read my private message.