ASUS "Network Cable Unplugged"

Closed
bboru Posts 2 Registration date Thursday March 20, 2014 Status Member Last seen March 20, 2014 - Mar 20, 2014 at 01:09 PM
bboru Posts 2 Registration date Thursday March 20, 2014 Status Member Last seen March 20, 2014 - Mar 20, 2014 at 01:32 PM
This is a follow-up to the closed post https://ccm.net/forum/affich-100254-network-cable-unplugged-but-isn-t?full#18

Problem Description: LAN NIC shows as unplugged regardless of whether it's true.

Things tried: updating drivers/bios to latest versions, downgrading drivers to ASUS recommendations, using the Microsoft Update versions of the NIC drivers, hard-setting speed duplex, turning off power saving on the adapter, different cables/switches

Resolution: power off the laptop and remove the battery. Hold down the power button for 15 seconds and boot it up. NIC works until the laptop is suspended and wakes up, then problem recurs.

My question here is what could possibly cause this? My NIC is integrated so a replacement is out of the question and I'm flummoxed as to what kind of problem would have this solution. Why is my NIC holding a charge that is essentially deactivating itself. The only thing that would make any semblance of sense is that there are some power-saving feature of the standby process that isn't allowing the NIC to accept new connections.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2 responses

bboru Posts 2 Registration date Thursday March 20, 2014 Status Member Last seen March 20, 2014 1
Mar 20, 2014 at 01:32 PM
Yes, I was hoping someone could explain the reasoning behind that solution. I realize I can get a USB->Ethernet adapter but usually if you fully understand a problem you can fix it without workarounds. This is a relatively new laptop, N56VZ, and it would be a shame to require a dongle every time I want to connect to the LAN. I guess I'm just one of those people that likes to know why things are, not just that they are.

The internet has not helped on this quandary at all. Even the solution was hard to find due to the fact that a power discharge would be the last thing most people would think to try.

It's just a question that's been keeping me up at night.