Excel - insert data to many lines based on a set of ID numbers

Closed
mvillamarin12 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday April 3, 2014 Status Member Last seen April 3, 2014 - Apr 3, 2014 at 08:45 PM
mvillamarin12 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday April 3, 2014 Status Member Last seen April 3, 2014 - Apr 3, 2014 at 09:12 PM
Does anyone know what type of macro could help with my problem.

I have a spreadsheet. Column A has an ID (example Test and Apple). Each ID has a set of data in the different rows. See example below:

Date State

Test 4/1/14 TX
Apple 5/1/14 NY

The problem is every data line has information that needs to be added to not only the ID but now a subset (can be more than one number) in addition to the ID. For example, my first ID is Test. Now the subset ID number of 1, 2 and 3
So now the data needs to go into excel as this:

Date State
Test.1 4/1/14 TX
Test.2 4/1/14 TX
Test.3 4/1/14 TX

But Apple only has two subset IDs:

Date State

Apple.1 5/1/14 NY
Apple.2 5/1/14 NY

Every ID varies in the amount of subset IDs but all the information on the ID line has to hit the subset ID.

Please help! Thanks!

BTW - date and state should be on pushed out further in different columns, this site formats back to the first space

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Apr 3, 2014 at 09:00 PM
Ok, where does the data come from? Can you ask to have it formatted in a different manner?

Which part of the business process are you stuck with? What, is it not BAU, anymore?

As to not duplicate your work, show us some of the stuff you have come up with...I am curious, and can help!

Help us help you!

"If you can't soar with the eagles, then don't fly with the flock!" - Oliver Sykes; Bring Me The Horizon
mvillamarin12 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday April 3, 2014 Status Member Last seen April 3, 2014
Apr 3, 2014 at 09:12 PM
OK so the IDs and the data (from my example) come from spreadsheet #1.

The subset IDs along with the IDs (IDs are on every spreadsheet for this project) are on Spreadsheet #2. The problem is each ID has more than one line of data attached to it.

So that rules out Vlookups. A pivot table cant help. Its either a Macro or by manual (which is not fun at all)

If you want, I can send you part of an example. Thank you so much for helping.