HP Pavilion dv6 - what is that key?

Solved/Closed
Formyle Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday April 8, 2014 Status Member Last seen April 8, 2014 - Apr 8, 2014 at 05:42 PM
Formyle Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday April 8, 2014 Status Member Last seen April 8, 2014 - Apr 8, 2014 at 06:25 PM
There's a key on my HP pavilion dv6 laptop that apparently redefines all the keys on the keyboard. Sadly HP has seen fit to label it with an ideogram instead of something in any language so I can only describe it (and can't search for help anywhere since I don't know what the heck to call it; was HP founded by The Artist Formerly Known As Prince?). Anyway, here is what it looks like: The key is between the alt and ctrl keys on the right of the spacebar. it is square and black. The symbol is white. It is two parallel thin white lines, then a thick white rectangle above that, then another thin white line.

I *think* this is the key that, when I hit it accidentally, stops me from doing anything useful with the keyboard. Does anyone know if that's what this is, and how to reverse the damage? Rebooting works but I hate losing work. Is there some way to disable the stupid thing altogether?
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Apr 8, 2014 at 06:05 PM
That's the "Windows menu" key it's supposed to open a menu for the current screen. It looks like your copy of Windows was damaged in someway. By the way just what version of Windows are you running?
Formyle Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday April 8, 2014 Status Member Last seen April 8, 2014
Apr 8, 2014 at 06:25 PM
Thanks, xpcman. I'm running windows 7. I don't think Windows is damaged, just that key is a toggle---that is, once I accidentally hit it, it stays on until I hit it again. Not a problem now that I have identified which key it is, but a huge problem when I didn't know what happened.