Problem with transcend 1TB hardrive

Closed
floryde Posts 4 Registration date Monday April 21, 2014 Status Member Last seen April 22, 2014 - Apr 21, 2014 at 02:23 PM
 Blocked Profile - Apr 22, 2014 at 11:35 AM
Hi, my friend has a 1TB transcend hardrive, it was working fine on his laptop and then I asked to use it in mine to get some movies. Anyways today when I gave him it back he came up to me and said his name for his hardrive has gone it just says E; and he can't access his hardrive anymore. I was thinking about changing the format, but it says it is active and if I change the format I could lose everything, which isn't good! It is NFTS and I thought formatting to exFAT and then a default unit size. Its says on the computer disk managment 931.51 GB RAW and healthy (active, primary partition) Its file system is NFTS, from what it says when you want to change the format. as it is the only one I can format too. can anybody help me at all? I don't want my friend to lose all his stuff as we are on tour serving our country and it is our morale!

4 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Apr 21, 2014 at 03:40 PM
You can not change the format without loss of all the data.

External hard drives are very fragile and you have probably broken it. There is a small chance that you improperly disconnected the drive and the partition table was damaged. You can use Google to find a free partition recovery program that might fix your problems.

Good Luck
floryde Posts 4 Registration date Monday April 21, 2014 Status Member Last seen April 22, 2014
Apr 21, 2014 at 04:28 PM
I think thats what the guys did, they must have just took the usb cable out without a thought. Im currently dowloading a free partition recovery programme, what do I do once it is downloaded? I really hope this works! Thankyou for your help so far
Blocked Profile
Apr 22, 2014 at 11:35 AM
Reply from acemark:

"If I may ask, who told you to get a partition recovery kit? Go to that person and see what is up!

If it was NTFS, then you plugged into something else.

You never really described the situation, just that the file format has changed (really), and that you really need the information back. Well, it is simple, go plug it back into the THE SAME MACHINE THAT HAS RIGHTS to it.

Good luck with that one, buddy!

Ohh, I can't resist, HAVE FUN!
"

Sometimes when my internet is down I forget the rest of my computer works.
PS - I'm from GMT time zone.
Blocked Profile
Apr 22, 2014 at 11:35 AM
Reply from floryde:

"Basically my friend used my mates hardrive to put films onto my laptop, as we are on tour and need morale and have watched our films! Anyways he took it out and gave it back to him but then my friend came to me with his hardrive saying it isn't showing up with any of his stuff anymore he can't even get onto his hardrive and the name isn't Jeff's hardrive anymore it just says E; on mine but F; on his. He has the brand new windows tablet with the keyboard attachment where as mine is just a bog standard dell laptop. However both of our partitions are NFTS and when looking at his disk management it shoes up with F; RAW and that the partition is active with so many megabytes of space left as he has a 1TB transcend hardrive. I was told to get a partition recovery toolkit that I have downloaded for free and let it download over night as I haven't touched the hardrive yet. So ATM the had drive is stroll RAW and I have no idea how it even got to it like that, but it has all his pictures of his family and music and films for the whole 6 months we are here, so I really wanna help him get it back so it doesn't kill his morale! Any help will be appreciated."

Sometimes when my internet is down I forget the rest of my computer works.
PS - I'm from GMT time zone.