BIOS - CMOS added a floppy drive not on my PC

Closed
Eastlight Posts 5 Registration date Monday April 21, 2014 Status Member Last seen July 29, 2014 - Apr 21, 2014 at 03:03 PM
Eastlight Posts 5 Registration date Monday April 21, 2014 Status Member Last seen July 29, 2014 - Apr 22, 2014 at 10:17 AM
My OS is Win Vista. My PC has been taking forever to boot for a couple weeks. I tried normal stuff, deleting temp files, etc. and nothing helped. I've changed CMOS/BIOS settings in the past to boot from one of my CD/DVD players to run a rescue disc and then changed it back to the hard drive again.
To speed up the boot I tried loading the default CMOS settings. Now I have a floppy A-Drive as my first boot drive. There is no floppy drive on this PC. I cannot move it from the first boot drive and get an error message on boot-up and I have to press F1 to over ride it and get windows to boot.
I tried deleting the A-Drive in my computer and from Control Panel Admin. Tools but it re-installs on re-boot.
I get tired of waiting and pressing F1 real fast.
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Apr 21, 2014 at 03:30 PM
You will need to root around in the BIOS settings to find where to remove the floppy. Nothing can be done inside Windows to fix the problem. There are hundreds of different BIOS releases so I can't tell you the exact settings.

Good Luck
Eastlight Posts 5 Registration date Monday April 21, 2014 Status Member Last seen July 29, 2014
Apr 22, 2014 at 10:17 AM
Thanks xpcman.

Did as you suggested, explored BIOS. Pressing F2 on boot didn't help so tried F-12 Standard CMOS Features. Found list of drives, selected the ficticious "A" floppy drive and could select "none". The floppy no longer shows on My Computer C:, however it is still listed in the F2 setup but I don't care about that. Had to use the setup to boot hard drive first and the PC seems to boot a little quicker.
BIOS says release is 1.0.1 12/15/2007
The PC isn't that old though.
Thinking about upgrading PC to Win 7 if system will handle it, like on my laptop. Everyone I talk to says Vista sucks.