HARD DRIVE PROBLEMS --- GHOST FILES

Closed
bonicbo Posts 1 Registration date Friday April 25, 2014 Status Member Last seen April 25, 2014 - Apr 25, 2014 at 11:54 PM
lizzybabyak Posts 1 Registration date Sunday June 22, 2014 Status Member Last seen June 22, 2014 - Jun 22, 2014 at 07:31 AM
Hello,

I am dealing with a 1 T G Tech external drive. It is a bit aged (at least four years) and its fan or drive it self is making a little more noise than it used to.

When I plug it in - to either my mac tower or Mac lap top it mounts and shows that 900 plus gigs are used--shows what little is still available. I have many different projects saved on the drive shot in all different formants. But unilaterally all the .mov files or JPEG or other different uncompressed video formats - are missing from their folders.
Example a project shot with cannon still shows the project folder,DCIM,100EOS5D and then in the video folder the corresponding THM files show but not the .mov counter parts.
When I clip on a project folder that I know has many gigs of files the info on them shows that nearly nothing in the folder.

It seems like they are all hidden or something? Or maybe the drive is just on its way out---either way if someone can please guide me in a way to recover the files it would be much appreciated.

Thank you kindly
Related:

1 response

lizzybabyak Posts 1 Registration date Sunday June 22, 2014 Status Member Last seen June 22, 2014
Jun 22, 2014 at 07:31 AM
Let me see if I can make this simple enough to grasp for the layman. Computers and the way they store data all comes down to how they were developed to be utilized. IBM developed the PC in the 60s-70s with the idea in mind that it would be an electronic type writer with an internal filing system and that was all they saw it becoming. You can still see many traces of this in it today, the hard drive is "partitioned" (cut up in to pieces) as a FAT32 (32 small cuts) each clearly defined by the letter titling the partition in the drive; ie A/: with c/: being your main hard drive storage. These are based on the most efficient filing system at the time do we decimal and all locations inside of the FAT32 system to the visible as words to the user are utilizing alphanumeric locales inside of the fat 32 system. Because Apple came along much later, and didn't own the rights to both their hardware and operating system is like IBM- OS X utilizes an open source platform called unix (much like Linux) and has one partition. It utilizes instead of a fat 32 - a gpt (GUID partition table) and writes a different commandline called DSCL. Because Apple was developed not to be an electronic typewriter but instead a machine developed for media it's development utilizes very different schematics including a hierarchy of filing systems on you next which naturally uses extended journaling and a forked filing system where is its nature is to save frequently with very few of the files it has saved visible to the user. This is a safety feature of working on media but causes the library to have multiple copies of all media projects with only one visible to you. Odds are if you're utilizing a tower PC and a Mac laptop that has an extra hard drive with the Fanning system you've got a computers that are Intel dual cores running somewhere between 2007 2009 and operating snow leopard. The easiest way to deal with this would be to utilize your Time Machine backup system, which allows you to save a compressed image of all of your files and exclude your library files as well as duplicate files in a compressed DM G image. This can be done through your system preferences and saved to a different external filing system it should not be done on the same hard drive that you're currently utilizing save to a different hard drive use disk utility to then white rewrite and clean seven Pastor Ray is the current drive your having issues with they reflect the image of your Time Machine backup system onto that drive you've been cleaner raised expected terabyte to take for a cleaning seven pass a race to zero it out 7 to 10 hours minimum- be sure to use your about the Mac to diagnose any issues that could possibly be kicking up as a result of your faulty drive prior to clean a racing make sure that you are not using extended journaling but just journaling prior to doing this leave your drive plugged into your home unit if you've gotten AirPort System you can plug it into USBs port. Time Machine will only update what is changed since the last time it has run itself prior to its last update and DMG compression will keep the image small light and portable. I must say I highly commend you for utilizing backing up in systems for backing up as a professional got to say people's computers fail all the time and they never realized that the data on their units with whole lot more in the computer itself. Hope this helps you can also find in the Mac App Store with the current version of Snow Leopard many scrubbing programs over the move duplicate files that it can find though you can't see the duplicate files a fork system many $10 programs will remove five or 600 gigs of that data enlighten up the weight on your hard drive.