External hard disk no longer detected on Windows 7

Closed
Pineteam Posts 3 Registration date Sunday May 25, 2014 Status Member Last seen May 26, 2014 - May 25, 2014 at 09:59 AM
Pineteam Posts 3 Registration date Sunday May 25, 2014 Status Member Last seen May 26, 2014 - May 26, 2014 at 06:48 AM
Dear all,

I'm new here. My name is Greg. Thanks for reading.

I have used the search function but could not find the exact answer to my problem. Sorry in advance if I missed it.

I have a HP external hard drive and I was transferring files to and out between my computer and the hard disk. During the transfer, I accidentally move the usb cable and the transfer stopped. I unplugged the Hard disk and plug it again but then it did not show up on my computer! The light is on and it's running normally. I tried a couple of things like going in "manage computer" then "manage disk" but it does not appear here either. Sometimes it does but I can't access it and the page keeps crashing.
I have tried with all my usb port and on another computer. Still nothing.
Sometimes as well the hard disk appears on my computer but without any information and I can't click on it and then it displays a message asking me if I want to format the disk which I really do not intend to do as I really want to recover my files!

If someone is able to help me, please do. I have a MSI laptop windows 7, 64 bit and my external hard disk is a HP model "hp pd1000a".

Thank you very much in advance. :)
Related:

3 responses

nathanwirth Posts 324 Registration date Thursday May 22, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 27, 2022 28
May 26, 2014 at 01:16 AM
Follow the tutorial mentioned at the below URL:

https://ccm.net/computing/hardware/1843-usb-flash-drive-not-detected-in-windows/

If it didn't help, kindly switch to recovery software forum and see if you find any suitable solution there:

https://ccm.net/forum/recovery-software-180

Feel free to ask if the problem still persists!!
Pineteam Posts 3 Registration date Sunday May 25, 2014 Status Member Last seen May 26, 2014
May 26, 2014 at 06:41 AM
Hello Nathanwirth,

Thank you for your answer but I follow the tutorial and it did not work :(

The thing is in my case, my external hard disk is not working on any computer. I tried 3 different computers. I don't thing there is any mechanical damage as I did not drop it and no unusual noise.

When it's plugged I sometimes get an error message saying " I have to format the disk to be able to use it" or this error message as see. in the picture below

Thanks again in advance for your help!

Regards,

Greg.
Pineteam Posts 3 Registration date Sunday May 25, 2014 Status Member Last seen May 26, 2014
May 26, 2014 at 06:48 AM
Sorry the picture is upside down and I forgot it's in french:
It says :

"problem booting of
C:\ Progra... Menu.dlll
the specified module could not be found"

Thank you