Windows 7 won't recognize XP PC in network

Closed
TomB1 Posts 1 Registration date Sunday July 6, 2014 Status Member Last seen July 6, 2014 - Jul 6, 2014 at 09:51 AM
johnebadbak74 Posts 95 Registration date Monday May 19, 2014 Status Member Last seen January 14, 2015 - Jul 7, 2014 at 04:03 AM
Windows 7 won't recognize XP PC in network - -
I followed a post that's marked solved and closed.

It tells me to use "Workgroup" between Windows 7 and XP-Pro machines. I've done that (using Win 7 to change to "Workgdroup" from "Mshome"). At the XP machine I have used Windows Explorer to select "Microsoft Windows Network" finding it lists two items: Mshome and Workgroup. Under Workgroup the name of the Windows 7 computer is listed. Selecting it a window appears requiring user name and password. With this I am unable to proceed. I have been able to verify I'm using the correct password but not the User name.

I just want to copy files between the Windows 7 machine and an XP-Pro machine, with located at my home.

The closed forum entry is here:
https://ccm.net/faq/5621-windows-7-won-t-recognize-xp-pc-in-network#solution
Related:

1 response

johnebadbak74 Posts 95 Registration date Monday May 19, 2014 Status Member Last seen January 14, 2015 14
Jul 7, 2014 at 04:03 AM
allow file and print sharing is allowed through the firewall
(all settings on win7 box") below

right click on the drive you want to share if you have done the share click on security and edit the permissions for "Everyone" to allow the permissions you want .
once set up the login for username and password box should not appear

unless you really want it.
check local area connections properties are all ticked and internet protocols properties are set to automatic..make sure you name the workgroup on both machines exactly the same