Ask a question Report

No sound after installing windows xp professi [Solved/Closed]

jrinlouisiana - Latest answer on Dec 11, 2012 05:52AM
Hello,
I've installed windows xp professional on my systemax computer but there is no sound, it says driviers are missing or sound card is being used by another component.
Read more 
Answer
+111
moins plus
If you have Windows xp and service pack 3 and are experiencing difficulties with having no sound after a fresh installation,try this,it works

1) Open Regedit and go to :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows\CDSVersion

2) Double-click CDSVersion and change it to 200, then restart your system.

100 (hex) means its sp1
200 (hex) means its sp2
300 (hex) means its sp3

3) Install kb888111xp2.exe (Microsoft UAA Patch which should be available from your Audio driver folder)
4) Install audio driver
5) Change CSDVersion back to 300 (remember this or else you system will think it's still SP2 and many SP2 updates may reemerge in your Windows Update, that's my logical guess anyway :mrgreen: )
6) Restart your system

Hope this helps you all

Harsha gowda- Jun 12, 2010 06:46AM
thanks a lot..
It worked ...
I was facing exact problem.

Only i could see legacy audio driver.
I could not find the realtek audio

regards
Harsha gowda
nospher- Dec 11, 2012 05:52AM
thnx......
it is workin
Answer
+82
moins plus
Hi,

This thread is marked "Solved"

Many questions, no answer. To be helped plz create ur own thread and tell
- The OS u use.
- The brand and the model of ur computer. Or of ur Mother Board if ur computer is a no-brand one.

Answer
+15
moins plus
When your computer has a conflict between SP3 and Realtek HD audio driver, right-click My Computer, select Properties, click Hardware tab and click Device Manager, double-click to extent Sound, video and game controllers, you will see there is a black exclamation mark in a yellow circle beside Realtek High Definition Audio. Try to reinstall drivers several times, but fail.

This problem would only possibly happen to Realtek High Definition audio users, and Realtek ac97 audio users would never come across such an issue. You can troubleshoot this conflict by modifying SP3 to SP2, specific instructions as follows:

Step 1 Click Start and then select run.

Step 2 Type "regedit" to open Registry Editor, under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Control Windows, find out the DWORD value CSDVerision.

If the hex value is 100, the algorism value is 256, this system version is Service Pack 1 (SP1); if hex value is 200, algorism value is 512, this system version is Service Pack 2 (SP2); if hex value is 300, algorism value is 768, this system version is Service Pack 3 (SP3).

Step 3 Now you need to change the hex value to 200 and restart your computer, thereby the system version would roll to SP2.

Step 4 Now your version is sp2.Reinstall the driver.

Finally the conflict between SP3 and your Realtek HD audio
driver disappears.

ateeq- May 25, 2010 11:56PM
Thnx hawk of pak.....ya 101% right...my sound card is working now...
Answer
+6
moins plus
How I solved Realtek High Definition Audio driver problem.
I have Acer Aspire 5720z. Recently I downgraded my Windows Vista to Windows XP Professional SP3.

There was no sound. As you may experience it yourself, I had problems installing Realtek High Definition Audio driver. After reading forums and trying things for 8 hours (with breaks) I did the following, which WORKED:

1. Install Windows XP SP2 (format the disk with XP SP3 in the beginning of installing XP SP2)
2. I tried to install the Realtek HD Audio driver for XP taken from here http://www.realtek.com.tw/...
I got Ďinstall realtek hd audio driver failure Ö227í
3. Uninstall Realtek from the 'Add or Remove Programs'.
4. Disable the Microsoft UAA Bus driver for Hihg Definition Audio (In the Device Manager, System Devices)
5. Uninstall the Microsoft UAA Bus driver for Hihg Definition Audio (same place)
6. Restart the computer.
7. Install the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for Hihg Definition Audio taken from http://drivers.softpedia.com/...
8. Restart the computer.
9. After the restart Windows says 'found new hardware' - HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP #2.
10. Unpack kb888111xpsp2 (taken from motherboard_driver_audio_realtek_azalia file downloaded in step 7) into a specific folder.
11. Direct 'Found New Hardware' wizard to the folder where kb888111xpsp2 is unpacked. It asked me for the Driver CD. The driver for the new hardware is installed (I donít know from where: either from the folder or from the CD, but donít care much now)
12. Check the sound - IT WORKS!!!
13. Install SP3. Check the sound - IT WORKS!!!

Remarks:
1. One of the K-lite codecs was installed at some step.
2. At the end I was not asked for the Realtek HD Audio driver. So Windows used the driver either from step 2 of the driver from the Driver CD.
3. kb888111xpsp2.exe was actually clicked somewhere
4. Possibly there is a more optimal combination of the above steps

Success to all of you how are about to solve the same problem. I just have joined a postdoc at one Uni before even finishing my PhD at another one (still the thesis has to be finished, printed and defended). So I have to work at both Unis at the same time. As you may imagine I donít have much time now to study how to install stuff and tune hardware, etc. My computers just must work in this period of my life. Therefore, GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU WHO CONTRIBUTE TO THE FORUMS. This let me solve the problem. Cheers

Answer
+5
moins plus
the main problem is with the Realtek HD audio driver that is being offered as an audio driver update. DO NOT get this software update as it conflicts with some components of the system.

The Compute Guy- Apr 28, 2010 08:39AM
Exactly correct, if you install different HD drivers you will need to re install your service pack, very easy and fixed! SOUND! Yea!
Answer
+5
moins plus
hi there,

use the following link to download your sound driver from official systemax website:

http://www.systemaxpc.com/
http://www.supportforyourpc.com/tools/downloads4.asp

follow instructions by selecting driver , operating system and model

Thanks

Answer
+4
moins plus
Here's what fixed mine today.

K-Lite Codec pack 5.3 Basic

Installed ran it and immediate sound. Also fixed the no sound issue on IE and Firefox.

Hope that helps...

Answer
+3
moins plus
U have to download the driver(s) of ur audio card, then install it.

Tell the brand and the model of ur computer. Or of ur MB if ur computer is a no-brand one.

Answer
+2
moins plus
i've had this prob a coupla times. found i had to install ms uaa bus driver to make the sound work again. sad, how would anyone know this!
cheers pat

jmp59 29073Posts mercredi 9 juin 2004Registration date ContributorStatus September 1, 2015 Last seen - Aug 31, 2008 04:19PM
The UAA Bus driver can be downloaded here http://dl.free.fr/getfile.pl?file=/G3aYTJfN/sp32646.exe
(click on "Telecharger ce fichier")
Answer
+1
moins plus
Hello guys, could do with some help here, iv'e fromatted my computer fair few times but never have i come across a problem as weird as this. It happend with two sets of speaker's cause to start with thought they we're mashed or something anyway all i get is a constant beeping, and crackling sound when i turn up or down no sound at all. My sound was great before i formatted it then when i got it all running again not abit of sound coming from anywhere, i thought i must have done it wrong so i formatted it again and it still hasn't solved the problem i'm totally baffeled need some help here trying to solve it ain't sure whats up i did have some parts of my computer taken out and then put back in do you think my sound card could be put back in wrong or any other parts could cause this? need some help., Thanks all Paul.

Answer
+1
moins plus
I found this and it fixed me -

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=167725

I have pasted items 2 and 3 of ThomasK's solution - I jumped straight in at step 3 and it worked perfectly

(2)
Here's the solution that worked for me.

First check your System group in Device Manager and see if you see an
entry called "Plug and Play Software Enumerator." If you don't see it,
then I have the solution for you.

I remembered accidentally deleting Plug and Play Software Enumerator
from the System group in device manager. I reinstalled it, and
everything worked fine.

Here's how to reinstall it:

You'll need to find two files (try doing a Google Search)

#1. swenum.inf
#2. swenum.sys

Then Add New Hardware, System Device, and have disk. Choose swenum.
Install it. Reboot.

Voila. It should be fixed.

(3)
And, here are the basic steps:
Go to System in Control Panel, Hardware tab, Device Manager button.
Click the + in front of 'System devices' (near the bottom), and look for a line that says: Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator
This fix will only help if you are missing that line, or if you have a yellow exclamation point on that line! If you have that line, and there's no yellow exclamation point, then stop here and look elsewhere - you've got a different situation.

Okay, now that you've confirmed that you're missing the Plug and Play Software Enumerator, or that it's broken:

Make sure you have the following two files in Windows (do a search - they should be there):

streamci.dll
swenum.sys
You don't need to do anything with them, just make sure they're there.

Then:
1) Copy machine.inf from WINDOWS\inf to a temporary location
2) Edit the temporary copy of machine.inf - remove the line that says "ExcludeFromSelect=*", and save the file
3) in Control Panel, choose "Add Hardware"

at the 'Welcome to the Add Hardware Wizard' window - click Next
at the 'Add Hardware Wizard' window (when it finishes searching) - click 'Yes, I have already connected the hardware', then click Next
scroll to the bottom of the list of 'Installed hardware', and click on 'Add a new hardware device', then click Next
click 'Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced), then click Next
click 'Have Disk...', and browse to and select the edited machine.inf file
scroll down in the list of 'Common hardware types', and click on 'System devices', then click Next
under 'Manufacturer' on the left, select '(Standard system devices)'
under 'Model' on the right, select 'Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator'
click Next

Once the installation is finished, and the Device Manager shows the Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator under 'System devices', the audio should now work (no reboot required)

GOOD LUCK,

JOHN PALMER

Answer
+0
moins plus
i got same ploblem with u..but now my pc ok liao...put ur window cd at ur cd-room..go device manage..choice multimedia sound device..then delete..after delete go control panel found add new hardware..then in install..i no sure will working..but my pc is like this ok de...if cant then take go shop repair XP...

Answer
+0
moins plus
U must re-install ur sound carr
U can do it with the CD of ur MB.

If u did lost it u have to download the driver from the Support Web site of the maker of ur PC. Or of ur MB if ur PC is a no-brand one.

For more help plz tell the brand and the model of ur PC (or of ur mB).

Answer
+0
moins plus
Hello NFIXIT,

U said "... can not be installed properly unless certain windows updates are installed on your system."

Not exactly updates, but the Microsoft UAA package.(KB888111) ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp33501-34000/sp33867.exe

With XP / SP2 it must be installed before running the HD sound card driver.

NFIXIT- Mar 17, 2009 03:36PM
YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT JMP59, The microsoft UAA package (Microsoft UAA package.(KB888111) ) is what will be needed to install HD sound drivers on XP with sp2 and under. I just didnt have the time to dig the exact info up. Also if you have SP3 I WILL EXPECT THE UAA PACKAGE TO BE EMBEDDED INSIDE OF SP3.

HOPE THIS HELPS

NFIXIT

NFIXITONLINE.COM
jmp59 29073Posts mercredi 9 juin 2004Registration date ContributorStatus September 1, 2015 Last seen - Mar 18, 2009 05:22AM
I WILL EXPECT THE UAA PACKAGE TO BE EMBEDDED INSIDE OF SP3.

Yes, it's : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480/fr (KB888111)
Answer
+0
moins plus
View #74

Answer
+0
moins plus
hello! you can find some audio drivers at download.com. just type audio drives in the search box and download.
just save it in ur usb. its free

Answer
+0
moins plus
hi download and install this then reboot will work then

http://www.majorgeeks.com/...

Answer
+0
moins plus
You need to install the drivers for you sound to work, check out my youtube videos. it will show you how to install sound drivers and more. dont forget to subscribe also if it helps you out...

how to install audio driver..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twld1PRcooU

how to install any driver...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt7SvsoTFNU

let me know if these help

Answer
+0
moins plus
Click start, control panel,sytem and hardware.Click device manager then scroll down to sound/video&game controllers and click on the "+" tab.There will be a yellow exclamation mark next to the hardware with a problem,look at the sound card name.If you dont get anywhere just download sisandra (free) which tells you everything about your computer and its hardware etc and look what the sound card name is then go to driverguide.com,register for free and get your driver or go to the manufactures website.

Answer
moins plus
Right, once a new Operating System has been installed, you have a few options:

1) Try and utilize the Motherboard CD, although if you have separate audio card, you will need the CD that came with it.
2) Browse CNet.com (download.com) or similar for the hardware specific drivers. Although long and tedious, it normally comes out with the right ones. - more for the experienced user
3) if you rolled back to XP from Vista, then only certain drivers are currently available. Most are for Service Pack 2 or older. Very few compatible drivers are available for XP rollbacks once Service Pack 3 has been installed.

If this is the case, you will need to install XP upto Service Pack 2, THEN install all your device drivers before commencing with Service Pack 3.

To do this correctly, without Windows Update getting involved, do not allow it to install SP3, instead, use the Custom Update option until you are happy all your drivers are in place.

This document entitled « no sound after installing windows xp professi » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.