Ask a question Report

My speakers or headphones won't work? [Solved/Closed]

shayna - Latest answer on Oct 8, 2012 03:14PM
Hello,
I had to have everything re-loaded onto my computer, at a local shop. Now everything thing works except my speakers, or even headphones on the front plug. I have made sure everything is plugged in correctly, turned on, all the volumes are set at the highest level possible. All my drivers (SB Live) say they are fine and working. Please help me.
Read more 
Answer
+626
moins plus
Do the following:
Go into
-> control panel
-> device manager (must be an administrator)
-> sound, video and game controllers
- Right click on your audio device
- choose "disable"
- wait a moment and right click, choose "enable"
Should be working perfectly!

ABIGAIL- Jun 17, 2010 04:15AM
I LOVE YOU!
YOU SAVED MY LIFE!
SweetP- Jun 17, 2010 05:36PM
It did indeed work perfectly!! Thanks so much..I was about to pull my hair out!!
May- Jul 12, 2010 11:06PM
YYESSS, OMG!
Thank you soo much <3 :D
alexf- May 11, 2011 01:17PM
Thank you!!!
Thanks buddy- May 12, 2011 12:32PM
salute to u
Answer
+50
moins plus
Ok, i had the same exact problem, except that i have windows vista. I hope that this helps you out because i know it can be a little annoying. First, go to your control panel, then you go to hardware and sound. In the hardware and sound, you will see this thing that says sound. Click sound, and a little screen will pop-up, double click speakers, then another little screen will pop-up. On the first tab, it'll say controller information, then whatever it is, next to it (on the right side) there will be a button that says properties. Click on that, and another screen will pop up, click on the little tab that says driver, and you will see all these options, click on update driver, and maybe it'll work. Hope it works with XP, i kinda doubt that it's the same programs, but it's something.

-Chris

Sarah- Jun 8, 2010 03:38PM
I have a Microsoft XP computer and I can't get my earphones to work on it. I have no speakers. Please help! =[
twisty- Jul 3, 2010 09:10PM
which driver update do i use? there is the online one, and the browsing one. The online one just keeps searching though
Lillywhite from Weirdtown Chat- Jul 5, 2010 02:00PM
thanks so much, you helped me too. they are still to quiet, but its better.
Wadey- Jul 8, 2010 03:20PM
Hello Chris,
Great job, you got my mic working! But I'm not having my sound working, any ideas please tell me! Kind regards
Monkeysssssssssss- Jul 15, 2010 12:56AM
thank you very much, you saved me a lot of time
Answer
+25
moins plus
dude why dont my headphones work when i plug em in my laptop i think its because of this program i downloaded called hig definition audio'' for some reason i cant remove that program please help

Answer
+24
moins plus
Take it back to the shop and complain :)

Answer
+18
moins plus
Hey guys, I was actually reading all your comments in hopes of finding a solution myself. I had the same problem most of you have or had.
I'm running a Vista Home Premium 6-bit laptop/notebook, and my sound drivers/cards are "Avnex Virtal Audio Device" and "Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221"
There are other two which I found to be useless so I won't name them.

My laptop (gateway) was working perfectly fine until I plugged in a pair of headphones, then all my sound completely went away. I was going insane and thought about unistalling my sound cards and installing new ones, but I'm not good with computers and was going to mess it all up worse, so I decided not to.
Anyway, I couldn't find an answer, and non of yours seemed to work, so I fooled around with them, and finally ended up Making the Conexant speaker the default speakers.

I did this by going to Control Panel > Sound >
And you'll see the speakers there. I had Avnex as my default, so I pressed on it, And pressed Properties. Then I went through all the taps and tested everyone. Non seemed to work. So I went to Conexant and did the same thing. The test worked and I heard some beeping sounds.

My Fiancee next to me asked me why Avnex was the default, and I said I didn't know, it was that way before I did anything, so I got the idea to make Conexant the default drivers and it worked. I started getting the beeping sounds when I get a pop up or something, so I tried my Itunes and WALAH! :D

I thought I had burned down my speakers or something because (being a huge fan of downloads) I have kept my laptop on 3 days in a row now. (the file is huge and my internet is BLAH. *cough* Comcast *cough*) and my laptop has gotten BURNING underneath.

Anyway, hoped I helped. :)

asdfasdfasdf- Jan 3, 2010 02:18AM
just disable the hdmi in the control panel - sound section for a bit and it should revert back to the speakers. worked for me
modicum- Jan 8, 2010 01:51PM
I solved this problem on my asus p5 plus by updating drivers. I did a search for via high definition drivers for 64 bit win7 and obtained a sizable download called v7300A zip. I ran the setup and bingo- front speaker/ mike jacks work fine now.
iHouse- Apr 11, 2010 07:02PM
This helped me! I installed TuneBite software and that put High Speed dubbing as default device for some strange reason. Thanks for the help.
Answer
+18
moins plus
My speakers are not working on my incoming skype calls but they are working!

Answer
+10
moins plus
look its because you need to reinstall your drivers
when you reinstall windows xp your drivers need to be installed again also

Answer
+8
moins plus
i dont know i hoped it answered

Answer
+5
moins plus
UMMM yeah..... I tried all of chris's excellent advice and some of you guys too but so far it's not working. It's probably because i don't have my original realtek audio speakers. They got lost when i moved and my friend gave me anothers set. They're Harman/Kardon. They work fine when I plug my ipod in but they don't work with my computer please Help!!!!!! I'd really appreciate if u did. I'm too broke to go get professional help. I barely can pay for my internet!!!!

Answer
+5
moins plus
hey i had xp on my comp and my speakers which were plugged in the back jack socket worked fine. i installed vista home edition and i had no sound , my speakers in the bottom right hand corner has a cross and it says "no audio output device installed." i have tread all the comments and followed step by step , i have all the current drivers updfated yet my headphones and speakers arent detected when they are plugged in either jack plug.

bazuka- Apr 1, 2010 07:13AM
use a vista compateble sound drvs. with xp sound drvs it won't work.
download from the comp site.
gibsey- Jun 23, 2010 01:50PM
can somebody give me a link to get a sound card driver for my pakard bell istart 1379, i had vista, removed it and installed xp now my speakers dont work
Answer
+5
moins plus
the best way to get them working is to go to task manager and delete explorer then type in explorer.exe in the open program box found somewhere on task manager then it should work

Answer
+4
moins plus
Thanks a lot Chris you're a geniusss

Answer
+4
moins plus
yh i done that but it doesnt say speakers on head phone and it still doesnt work now none of them my speakers and headphones help

Answer
+4
moins plus
i have an acer aspire 5720 running vista. i recently got the hard drive replaced as the old one was screwed.everything seemed to be working fine after i got it back until a few days ago when i was using the line-in input to record using the sound recorder. after unplugging the cord from the line-in jack, no audio seemed to work. internal speakers, internal microphone and all three jacks on the front panel aren't working. ive tried plugging headphones in but they don't even show up as being plugged in. when i try to play something, it registers in the volume mixer as playing through the speakers but i still can't hear anything. ive installed and reinstalled Realtek HD Audio but it doesnt seem to make a difference.ive looked in the devide manager and it says everything is working fine.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Answer
+4
moins plus
OMG THANKS A BUNCH CHRIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer
+4
moins plus
ive had this problem befor it will be because your sound dirver is uninstalled to findout go to control panel> system >click on the hardware tab at the top>divice manager> now if there are any yellow question marks with explenation marks next to it they will be uninstalled drivers just enter them into google and download them

Answer
+4
moins plus
my spearker not work

Answer
+4
moins plus
turn it off and on again!

Answer
+4
moins plus
Make sure your Volume onspeech,and Audio devices the computer isnt on mute... To check push start,controlpanel,Sounds,then press the system volume you should beable to get it from there. :)

Answer
+4
moins plus
i had computor cleared reloaded vista speakers work bot wont shut off when sheadphone s are plugged injc

1 2 3 Next
This document entitled « My speakers or headphones won't work? » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.