No display after installing new graphics card

Closed
Xebedee Posts 3 Registration date Saturday September 20, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 21, 2014 - Sep 20, 2014 at 10:41 AM
Xebedee Posts 3 Registration date Saturday September 20, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 21, 2014 - Sep 21, 2014 at 02:25 AM
Hello,

Today I installed a new video card (Nvidia Geforce GT740). I was previously using my onboard video card. Once I started up my computer again, I was not able to get any display on the monitor (it just went into sleep mode). I then connected my monitor back to my onboard video card, but it still did not have any display. When pressing any button on my monitor it returns the error "There is no signal coming from your computer."

Everything appears to work on the inside aside from this, the fans on the motherboard and video card still run, if I unplug my RAM it beeps, and all of the lights are on. However my mouse and keyboard do not appear to be receiving any input, as the light on the bottom of my mouse and the num lock/caps lock lights on my keyboard do not turn on.

It's probably not a monitor problem, since other monitors and cables don't work either. I have tried unplugging my RAM, removing the battery temporarily, I have checked the power supply, made sure everything is plugged in correctly, etc.

I cannot for the life of me figure out the problem, and I can't find anyone else who has had the same problem, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Related:

3 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Sep 20, 2014 at 03:22 PM
Perhaps you have damaged the Motherboard in some way. If the power supply was plugged in when you inserted the new video card is might have shorted out and done damage to the MB.

It may also be a power supply problem since it doesn't seem to be supplying 5 volts to the mouse.

Only a good computer tech with "hands on" access to the PC can diagnose the problem.
Xebedee Posts 3 Registration date Saturday September 20, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 21, 2014
Sep 21, 2014 at 12:15 AM
Thanks for your reply!

I think I had unplugged the power supply before putting the new card in , but it's possible that I hadn't. I am going to try using a different PSU and see what happens. If this fails, I think I will indeed give up and let a technician take a look.

Thanks again!
Xebedee Posts 3 Registration date Saturday September 20, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 21, 2014
Sep 21, 2014 at 02:25 AM
Update:

I replaced the PSU and there was no change. I took out the wifi card as a last resort and it worked. After changing the PSU back and putting the wifi card into a different slot, it still was perfectly fine (aside from not being able to detect any wifi networks).

I then rebooted my computer and it was back to the original problem. I haven't been able to get any display since.