Opening ports for games on my work server

Closed
leezy - Mar 12, 2009 at 05:41 AM
 leezy - Mar 12, 2009 at 07:28 AM
Hello,

First of all, I do work hard I just have alot of downtime at work.

I am simply trying to work out if at all possible to open ports to play online poker/ chess, or even Call of Duty 4 from my work connection. Our server runs through our clients 3rd party LAN, I have access to my companies server configuration and I have been able to access online poker from a wireless router setup at another area of the business site (that does not run through our server but the clients). So I figure these ports must be blocked on our server as they can be accessed elsewhere.

We are running Windows Server 2003 R2 Std Edition on a HP Storage Works Ultrium 1840/ 960/ 466.

I have been searching for answers but have not got anywhere yet.

Cheers
Leezy
Related:

1 response

Tweedledum Posts 181 Registration date Monday January 19, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 2, 2009 125
Mar 12, 2009 at 07:13 AM
well of course you can do it. But you shouldn't for a few reasons, the biggest being you will basically be opening a back door to your companies network just to play a few games. the obvious concern with this is that someone could hack and crash your companies network and guess who they will blame, you!!! thats why they have a network admin and you probably need admin access to open ports
Too true, I do have admin access but your right, not really worth the risk to play a few games. I thought that as it was open on another connection in another part of our complex that it wasn't that much of a risk.

Cheers anyway.