My passport WD don't see an icon anywhere

Closed
yaohua Posts 1 Registration date Saturday September 27, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 27, 2014 - Sep 27, 2014 at 03:58 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Sep 30, 2014 at 02:54 AM
Hi my wd passport stopped working after i tried to save a project from a flash stick to my passport the light blinks and when I checked in device management it said your passport is ok but I don't see an icon anywhere thanks for your help.
Related:

3 responses

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Sep 29, 2014 at 08:44 AM
Hi there,

Can you confirm that the drive is/not seen in Disk Management? Check in Device Manager too. If it is in Device Manager, try to unplug the drive, uninstall the drivers, restart the PC and plug the drive again. I would do error fix with chkdsk /r, /f commands and try the device on another PC.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/technet-magazine/dd637756(v=msdn.10)?redirectedfrom=MSDN - details about chkdsk commands

Hope this helps
Thanks for your reply I see the wd passport in the device management and I did what you said un plugged and uninstalled and restarted my pc same thing sorry I just wish it works I have two more passports I just hope they don't give me the same problem I have important stuff on them what else can I do? Thanks again.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Sep 30, 2014 at 02:54 AM
So the drive is seen on Device Manager without any error signs and is visible in Disk Management, but not in My Computer? After uninstalling the drivers and plugging in the drive, were the drivers reinstalled automatically?
If you see it in Disk Management, what options do you have when you right click the drive? Have you tried the chkdsk commands? Sometimes, when the drive is disconnected while still spinning, some errors and corrupted files may appear. Chkdsk may restore some readable information. If you have the option, try the device on all the USB ports and on other PC.
I would advise you to use your externals as a backup destination, so that if something happens you will have the information on one more device.