WD Passport not detecting / Recognised

Closed
userresu Posts 3 Registration date Saturday October 4, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 9, 2014 - Oct 4, 2014 at 04:39 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Oct 13, 2014 at 03:45 AM
Hello,

Not able to fix the issue with below 2 solutions:

Solution 1:

Try this 1

Plug your external drive.

Click on Start --> In search box, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.

"Device Manager" will be opened. Is there any yellow mark?

Double-click on "Disk drives" and let me know if you can see your external hard

drive under it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Solution 2:

Hello,
Try this 1
Click on Start --> In search box, type cmd. When it show "Command Prompt" in the search list,
right-click on it and select the option "Open as administrator".
Open the command prompt and type the below commands
set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 --> Press Enter
start devmgmt.msc --> Press Enter
"Device Manager" window will be opened.
Now in the device manager, click on "View" --> Select "Show hidden devices"
Now expand the nodes "Disk Drives" and "Universal serial bus controller" by clicking on "+" symbol. If you find any greyed entries --> Right click on it --> Select "Uninstall".
Restart your PC and connect your external drive.
Good Luck
Related:

7 responses

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Oct 10, 2014 at 02:46 AM
I recommend you to try the diskpart command. Follow the instructions in the link below. Start the command prompt and type "diskpart", after that type "list disk" and should see your disks. From the list you pick the number of the disk have issues with and write "select disk 1" (if 1 is the number of the disk), after that you should get a message that the drive is selected. Type "assign letter =J" (or any letter you like, which is not in use). This way you should assign a drive letter to the drive, which may result helpful. If not you should try another OS, like Linux. Those Live CDs can be useful. Just in case, try another USB cable.
I really can not suggest you any particular recovery software, but you should look for solutions in the downloads section of this page or following the link I leave below. You have already reached the WD customer care. My team is trying to help users in different forums but we do not offer phone technical support.

https://ccm.net/faq/34271-windows-the-diskpart-command - the diskpart command
https://www.tomshardware.com/ - a topic that may be useful