Wd my passport 1 tb hdd failed to write or data lost smething

Closed
vortex94 Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday October 7, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 7, 2014 - Oct 7, 2014 at 12:36 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Oct 8, 2014 at 07:58 AM
I have a wd my passport 1 tb hdd... and recently it has givin me problems... it all started after my laptop went into hibernation during defragmentation of external hard disk... and after that I started getting errors like failed to write or data lost smething (I forgot the exact error) so I did a disk checkup and I got no errors but still I found problems like empty folders etc... so I did chkdsk with /F /R... during verifying file data I got a error saying something no enough disk space to replace clusters... so I ran chkdsk again this time through repair mode... it got stuck at one point for nearly 2 hrs... I thought I will do it some other day and I shut down my laptop... and now if I connect my hard disk it takes time to detect... first it slowly shows my hard disk as new volume...then after 10 mins the size and space left and after another 5 mins my hard disk name... when I try to open my hard disk... it shows the folders... but when I open the folders it shows empty... and smetimes the hard disk name again changes to new volume... I really dont know whats wrong... I really need a solution to fix my hard disk... please help me...
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Oct 8, 2014 at 07:58 AM
Hi there,

You have done some pretty good troubleshooting. It is possible that you face some file corruption, because the device was disconnected while still in use (when hibernation started during defragmentation). Usually the chkdsk command does the job enough, so that you are able to recover the information. I would suggest you to try with the attrib command from the cmd. If your drive letter is Z, for example, the command should look like "attrib -h -r -s/s /d z:\*.*". I leave you a link with some details. If you gain access to your files, backup them and format the drive. You can scan it with Data Lifeguard Diagnostics to exclude some other possible errors.

https://ccm.net/faq/11537-all-folders-in-external-hard-disk-are-empty - All folders in external are empty solution
https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?DL - Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows

Hope this helps