Usb comes up in device manager but does not come up in my comput

Closed
logbog97 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday October 16, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 17, 2014 - Oct 16, 2014 at 07:57 AM
logbog97 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday October 16, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 17, 2014 - Oct 17, 2014 at 06:30 AM
Hi just having some troubles with my 16gb Usb,
My Usb comes up in device manager but does not come up in my computer.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled is several times with no luck.
Can anyone help, my computer is windows 7,
Cheers
Related:

4 responses

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Oct 16, 2014 at 08:23 AM
Hi there,

Could you check in Disk Management? Is the drive there? Does it have assigned drive letter? Is the USB used, I mean, does it have data in it?
If you find the drive in Disk Management, try to give it a letter. If the drive has no data in it, try to format it.

Have a look at this topic: https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-change-the-drive-letter-in-windows-xp-for-an-external-usb-stick-or-hard-drive/

Hope this helps
logbog97 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday October 16, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 17, 2014
Oct 17, 2014 at 02:36 AM
Yeah it does come up in disk management.
I have changed the drive letter but it still has not changed,
The USB does have stuff on it, it would be good to get it back but its not life threatening.
I have had trouble with this disk before, if you plug it in and open it too quick if comes up empty. So you just pull it out and put it in again and it worked.
But sorry, so far no luck.
Cheers
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Oct 17, 2014 at 03:48 AM
I would try to uninstall the drivers from Device Manager, restart and let the device reinstall them. If there is no change, try using the chkdsk command from the command prompt (chkdsk /f, or chkdsk /r). If still there is no progress, try formatting the drive. If Disk Management is not an option for formatting, use the diskpart command to clean partitions and format the device. I leave you details below.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx?mfr=true - the chkdsk command
http://techgenix.com/HowtowipeaharddriveusingDiskpartandFormat/ - diskpart command

Hope this helps
logbog97 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday October 16, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 17, 2014
Oct 17, 2014 at 06:30 AM
Thanks very much for your time, it is muchly appreciated.
I conducted the "chkdsk"
It now comes up in devices and printers as a "Mass storage device"
However it still dos not appear in my computer.
I an yet to try to wipe it,
I might just have to buy a new USB, shame its only 6mths old.
Cheers,

Helpful Hint : I wont buy Lexar again, had endless trouble since I bought it. Second Lexar that has died in the last 4.5months.