Windows 7 is not recognising WD My passport Ultra 2Tb

Closed
ksnetwork1988 Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday October 29, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 29, 2014 - Oct 29, 2014 at 05:54 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Oct 30, 2014 at 04:08 AM
Hello,

Window 7 32 bit is not recognizing my newly bought 2 TB WD my passport ultra. I tried the below troubleshoots but nothing resolved it.

1. Uninstall the driver and restart the laptop. --> Windows 7 detected my passport, gave H: for that and simultaneously it was trying to install driver for the device but it was failed. The moment it failed, my device disappeared from my computer.

2. Update the firmware --> Firmware is already up to date.

3. Tried to access in XP & Linux Virtual machines on the same windows 7 laptop with the same cable and USB port, XP & Linux both detected my passport. Hence I came to the conclusion that no issue on WD My passport. Please correct me if I am wrong.

4. Zero data format My passport(Suggestion from WD support) --> After Zero data format of WD my passport from windows xp also, win 7 doesn't recognise.

Please suggest how I can resolve this issue.
Related:

2 responses

nathanwirth Posts 324 Registration date Thursday May 22, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 27, 2022 28
Oct 30, 2014 at 01:04 AM
Go to 'Disk Management' and see if your external drive is listed there. Also, make sure that USB ports of your computer weren't damaged.

In between, try connecting the same drive to any other computer and see if it's working properly. This will help you ensure that external drive is OK and you don't need to ask for replacement.

Also, take your data protection one step further by taking backup of all your data to different secure places. This will protect your data from being lost or deleted permanently.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Oct 30, 2014 at 04:08 AM
Hi there,

I presume that your device is fully accessible in Windows XP. Am I correct? Could you give me a bit more details why the driver installation failed? Was it because the drive disconnected? Check with another USB cable. I would download drivers from the WD web page and install them manually. I leave you a link below.
What nathanwirth suggested may result helpful. Check in Disk Management and in Device Manger. Even if the drive is recognized in Linux, you can not be 100% sure that it is OK and fully functional. What software did you use to write zeros? The Data Lifeguard Diagnostic? If so, could you check the drive for errors, using the same utility?

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?DL - WD Downloads section

Hope this helps