Xxxx.dbf corrupted

Solved/Closed
mauram Posts 1 Registration date Saturday November 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen November 1, 2014 - Nov 1, 2014 at 07:48 AM
lindjohann Posts 1 Registration date Saturday November 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen November 1, 2014 - Nov 1, 2014 at 04:47 PM
Received a System Error when trying to pack and rebuild. Error number 2091. Version 9.32 Build 9.32.20080629 (13.00)
Error message: Table "C:\xxxx.dbf' has become corrupted. The table will need to be repaired before using again".

Any assistance will be appreciated.

1 response

lindjohann Posts 1 Registration date Saturday November 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen November 1, 2014 1
Nov 1, 2014 at 04:47 PM
First method:
Rule #1: Attempt recovery only on a *copy* of the damaged file.

Can you be more specific about the database "corruption"? Does A4 just fail to open the bare .DBF file? Or does it open, but then shows gibberish in some of the records? Are the data "skewed" so that field data seems to spill over into an adjacent field? Does corrupt .DBF file be successfully and accurately copied to another disk or directory?

There are numerous utilities around that can automatically repair .DBF files, but you can still do some header repairs manually with a hex editor. In my experience, more often than not, the .DBF header gets corrupt, while most of the data are intact.

In one application that I used to maintain (not an A4 application, but one that also used a .DBF file), its favorite way of corrupting the database was to fail to save a valid record count in the header, making the database appear empty. Correcting the record count easily repaired this kind of database damage.

Alternative ways:

Community of enthusiasts - http://ww7.filerepairforum.com - who knows, here many points of view and you may look at it.

Third party solution DBF Fix Toolbox also can be effective

I did not check it myself, but this is the last method I can propose you- https://www.fixtoolbox.com/dbffix.html