Power failure and now my pc won't start up

Solved/Closed
Charl3 Posts 2 Registration date Monday November 3, 2014 Status Member Last seen November 3, 2014 - Nov 3, 2014 at 06:33 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Nov 5, 2014 at 04:19 PM
So recently there was a power failure and now my pc won't start up. When I press start the screen displays no signal and the mouse and keyboard lights are off. There is also no beeps when I start. Any help with what could have went wrong when the power failed would be much appreciated.
Related:

3 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Nov 3, 2014 at 06:38 AM
Hello

Was your computer plugged in a power bar with power surge protection?

If not, when the power came back on, there is often a power surge which may damage the power supply and other circuits.
Charl3 Posts 2 Registration date Monday November 3, 2014 Status Member Last seen November 3, 2014
Nov 3, 2014 at 06:42 AM
No it wasnt plugged in a power bar
westom Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday January 6, 2010 Status Member Last seen November 5, 2014
Nov 5, 2014 at 09:27 AM
Power on does not create surges. Had they learned this stuff, then their every post included technical numbers. Power bars on 120 volts do absolutely nothing until voltages will exceed 330 volts. Does power on create a 500 volt spike? Of course not. But that is what advertising and hearsay tells the naive. Then the naive preach as if experts.

Protectors too close to a computer and too far from an earth ground (ie power bar) can even make computer damage easier. Ignore those power bar recommendations that only assumed the bar would stop a surge.

Solving this problem is easy IF you help is first provided with relevant facts. Nobody can say what has failed or how to avert that damage from what was posted. Get a digital meter from a friend. Or spend maybe $5 or $12 to buy this useful tool. Request instructions. Numbers from six wires (and disconnecting nothing) mean a next reply, without doubt, will say what has failed and what must be replaced. Something that even a 13 years old can do. Often, also learned is why that particular failure happened; to be averted in the future.

Again, anyone who knows why you have damage from almost no hard facts is reciting rhetoric. A power bar can even make hardware damage easier. Advertising forgets to mention that reality. A bogus recommendation is made without first learning facts. Getting a computer working again is easy. But only if useful facts (ie numbers) are first provided using requested instructions.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Nov 5, 2014 at 04:19 PM
@Westom

You are completely in the wrong. I got my information from engineers of the most reputable electric utility companies. When there is power outage and the power is reestablished there may bea power surge. Hence all companies recommend to disconnect all electronics from the wall plug if they are not connected to a power surge protection bar.
Nov 3, 2014 at 06:50 AM
As I wrote before, no doubt that when the power came back on, there was a power surge which damaged the power supply and other circuits.

Only a qualified technician can make the repair.

Computers must always be plugged into a power bar equiped with a surge protection device.

Sorry