WDl 750GB External Hard Drive does not show up in Win Explorer

Closed
Jellymetal Posts 1 Registration date Friday December 5, 2014 Status Member Last seen December 5, 2014 - Dec 5, 2014 at 11:21 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Dec 9, 2014 at 05:12 AM
Hi there,

I have an External Hard disk(WD Elements) P/N:WDBABV7500ABK-00
It stored some of my important projects since 2011.

Recently it tend to lose connection and before I could do a proper backup, it failed to be 'seen' even my PC seemed to be able to detect it. It still gives the standard plug-in sound each time during connection, it just doesn't show up in the Windows explorer pane.
I switched it to connect on Mac Book pro or another laptop and the result is the same.

At first I suspect the mini USB cable that came loose easily, so I tried to press hold the cable tightly at the start of connection, hoping eventually it could be seen.
It still has the initial spinning drive sound and the small beam light blinks 3 thrice at the start and then stabilized. But no files are seen on the Right pane of the Windows explorer view.

And under the 'Eject USB Device' on the right bottom of the Task Bar for us to do a proper Safe remove device, the 'WD Element 1023' wordings are there but without any Drive Letter assigned to it. I can only release it.

I learned that we can try to uninstall the driver under <USB Controller> in Device Manager and re-install the driver again to see if it shows up, but it did not.

While under the <Disk Management>, a message prompted that this WD Element hard disk was not initialized. I know I cannot initialized as it will wipe out the data inside.

Appreciate some advice on this urgently.

Thanks. - JellyM
Related:

3 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Dec 5, 2014 at 01:56 PM
Sorry there is a 99 percent probability that the hard drive has failed. You can wedge open the case and buy a compatible WD hard drive to replace the broken drive. Data recovery highly unlikely unless you use a professional service.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Dec 8, 2014 at 10:27 AM
Hi there,

Unfortunately, initializing the drive will not help, because, as you stated, it will erase your data. Do you have an option to assign a drive letter in Disk Management? If not, try using the Diskpart command from the command prompt.
Type: diskpart, list disk, select disk n (where n is the number of the drive), assign letter =L ( where L is any letter you like, that is not currently in use).
If this does not help, try using a Linux life CD, which may grant you enough access to copy your data.

https://ccm.net/faq/34271-windows-the-diskpart-command - more details about the Diskpart command.

Hope this helps
Hi xpcman and R2D2,

Appreciate both your respond and advice.
Understand, meanwhile have to pray and try.

>> R2D2,
For the Linus Life CD, Where can I get hold of it? Is it complicated to install?
I have little PC technical knowledge.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
-JellyM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Dec 9, 2014 at 05:12 AM
I am sure you can find more details from some Linux web page. There is no installation required. You need a CD/DVD, burn the Live CD and make it bootable. Boot from it and it will start some loading. When it ends, you will be able to access your machine through the Live CD. Depending on the version you have found, the settings and tools may be very similar to Windows.