Can't open Word doc in Windows Mail

Closed
ticked in NC - Mar 17, 2009 at 08:46 AM
 tomb - Aug 4, 2009 at 07:25 AM
Hello,

I'm running Windows Vista SP1 and using it's Windows Mail. When I receive and email with a Word document and try to open it I receive the error message, "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel." I cannot find this "Set Associations Control Panel." I have looked in tools, in the main control panel, in "help" and searched on line and and can't find a solution. Please help.
Related:

4 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Mar 17, 2009 at 12:36 PM
I don't know why Microsoft makes this so hard to find. Go to CONTROL PANEL - PROGRAMS - DEFAULT PROGRAMS - ASSOCIATE A FILE TYPE - this will give you the Set Associations screen.

I assume you have a copy of WORD installed. Without it you will still be unable to read .doc files.

If you don't own Microsoft Office or Word you can download a FREE copy of OpenOffice it will read and write all Office file types.

Google OpenOffice for the download site.
Thank you xpcman for your reply. I followed your directions and found that .doc is already set to be opened by Word. I tried changing it to another program then changed back to Word. Still can't open. Any other suggestions?
Where is that setting in Outlook 2007?
I was having the same problem and found that a setting had changed. I clicked Tools, Options, Advanced and under Settings, the first one: Contact Attachment Conversion, make sure the bullet is in the second option: Ask me each time. If it is under Leave contact attachments in Contact format, nothing will happen when you try to open the attachment from the email. You have to close and reopen Windows Mail for the change in the Setting to take effect. Hope this helps.
Dear Strafgod:

Thanks, what you suggested about going to tools, options, advanced...etc. worked and now I am able to open my attachment directly again...cheers
Got the same problem. Doesn't help to associate extension.
Someone told me about OpenOffice.org. The Open Office programs include a word processing document that will open both Word 2003 and 2007. I downloaded it and changed my association for .doc to this new program. It opens it beautifully
Lasse > ticked in NC
Apr 20, 2009 at 08:05 AM
OpenOffice.org

That is not the answer to this subject. The question is, why doesn't MS Word opens.
ticked in NC > Lasse
Apr 21, 2009 at 03:31 PM
Well, Lassie, OpenOffice might not be the answer to the question, but could be the answer to the problem!